Exercise Before And After Eating
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exercise Before And After Eating

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

DefaultExercise Before And After Eating

About how long before and after eating should I wait to exercise my 4 month old puppy? Thanks for any advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Exercise Before And After Eating

I think I've heard a half hour before and an hour after. Mainly to prevent bloat.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I try to wait an hour either side. It is important not to exercise on a full stomach.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hm, just to complicate the discussion, I've always heard that it depends on what kind of exercise.

If it's something that's going to end up in a panting, exhausted puppy (which you should really be careful about at that age anyway), I've heard what Trickster heard.

If it's exercise like a stroll around the block exercise, I don't think it matters.

If it's something that's going to end up in a panting, exhausted puppy (which you should really be careful about at that age anyway), I've heard what Trickster heard.

If it's exercise like a stroll around the block exercise, I don't think it matters
    Oh yes, definitely. As you say, not that a 4 month old puppy should be doing anything strenuous anyway.

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

gabby'smom.........Sometimes when I play with my pup (fetch, or chasing each other, etc.), she does end up panting. That is when I usually call a time out and let her rest a bit and have some water. When you say to be careful at the age she is at, can you elaborate? I don't want to cause her harm. I always wonder if I'm exercising her enough, or too much. I try to take my cue from her. If she lays down in the grass and chews on the toy we've been playing fetch with, I let her chill out. If she's still running around like a maniac, I keep playing with her. I don't want her to overdo it. Can you advise? Thanks!

It is safe to follow the '5 minute rule' with puppies. I made a long post about exercise in the 'Our Best Advice' thread:

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,1694.25.html

Just use your judgment.

For example, don't do anything strenuous like this: https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,42246.0.html
    unless you are using Trickster's an hour before/an hour after rule. Actually, don't ever do anything like that with a puppy unless they're 18-24 months old.

Trickster has a really good post about exercise in the Training Tips section in the Best Advice sticky at the top. The general rule is no forced running on leash, no hard surfaces, and no more than 5 mins times the number of months old they are.

So your puppy is 4 months old. So 4 months old times 5 minutes is 20 minutes. However- use your judgment. The labby police are not going to take you away if you stay out there with her while she chases butterflies for 23 and a half minutes

However, just be mindful of young joints

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    It is safe to follow the '5 minute rule' with puppies. I made a long post about exercise in the 'Our Best Advice' thread:

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,1694.25.html
    You beat me to it

You beat me to it
    Heheh. :P

Yep -- as already mentioned, you must also use your best judgement. Most Labs don't know when to quit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast