Hip Dysplasia - Prevention Ideas?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hip Dysplasia - Prevention Ideas?

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultHip Dysplasia - Prevention Ideas?

Hello everyone,

I am going to be bringing home my first lab puppy on May 12th (he's only 2 weeks in the pic!) and I had some questions about hips. (I will ask the breeder and my vet as well, but I would like to get feedback from lab owners as well!)

I know that hip dysplasia is a hereditary condition commonly occurring in large dogs, but I have also heard/read that it can be worsened or even brought on by environmental factors (certain types of exercise, etc.)

His parents have been tested clear (made sure of that!) but can anyone tell me what I can do to hopefully avoid putting any unnecessary strain on his growing joints? any suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you!

- Kate

[attachment deleted by admin]
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Hip Dysplasia - Prevention Ideas?

Biggest thing is to keep the dog lean and keep the growth slow.

Laura

Don't over exercise, no leashed running, avoid jumping if possible (they're pups, I'm not sure it's even possible to keep them from jumping - but don't encourage it or play games like frisbee that encourage jumping). Large breed puppy foods, or foods that contain an appropriate amount of calcium (1.5% or less) are also good. Keep the pup a healthy weight. Feeding too many calories encourages growth and is linked to HD.

Like you said, you can't really control the genes - those have already been determined. But studies have shown that calcium, total calorie intake, and exercise play big rolls in the severity of hip dysplasia. You may not be able to prevent it, but you may be able to lessen the severity if the genes are there.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Many breeders will put in their contract no jogging with the dog until 18 months.

As long as you don't do anything excessive, you'll be fine.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Thanks, I'm so worried, I've heard so many horror stories about hips in all of the reading I've done!

I have also heard that large breed puppies need exercise in order to strengthen their muscles so that the muscles can help to support the growing/developing bones and joints, so I guess what I'm worried about most is finding the balance between enough/too much exercise, but I think I have a bit of a pre-puppy parent jitters, which isn't helping the mild hip-paranoia!

Thank you all for your suggestions!

p.s. these are the most recent pics of him that the breeder has posted, isn't he sooo cute!!??

[attachment deleted by admin]
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

To add to what Nick said, I'm a big believer in using a Large Breed Puppy formula for Lab puppies. It's one of the 3 interacting major factors (genetics, stress/exercise/injury, and food (esp. Calcium & Phosporus ratios and levels).

On page 2 of the thread on "helpful advice," see my long post summarizing and citing studies on LBP formula research. (It begins with red printing at the head of the post.)

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...ic,1694.0.html

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Four most important things 1) Keep your dog thin, not ideal, but thin 2) Keep your dog thin 3) No jogging, limit excersise to a degree, especially in the first 5 months of life (this does not mean - don't have fun. Take him out on nature walks...just don't go too long - divide up the play). You can run around and play with him though. No jogging means, don't take him running for a distance, but spurts for a ball and play are great to build muscle 4) Use a quality large breed puppy food.

That being, these are my opinions and even if you do all of this you easily could have a dog with hip issues as it is mainly genetic. But if you do the above and the dog has only mild issues, you may never notice a single thing as did everything you could to minimize trama - especially number 1 and 2. THere have been many studies about number 1 and 2 - it is the single most important thing for all dogs.

One more thing to consider is when to spay/neuter. There has been some association with some joint problems in dogs that where altered at an early age. most people that are concerned about joints and such prefer to wait till after the pup stops growing before altering. The other thing to check for on a new puppy is elbow dysplasia. It is pretty common in labs so you may want to check the parents clearences. You can go to www.OFFA.org and do a search on the parents by either name and breed or by AKC number or other registery number and then you can get a pedigree of all the dogs related that are in their database. I also hear that PennHip (another organization that checks hips and does a better job) will have a database soon?

Kelly and Amber

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Just one word on the "thin", IMO it is not in a pups best interest to keep it "thin". Lean, yes, thin, no. Thin is not healthy. If the pup/dog falls ill and they are thin they have very little to fall back on.

I have also heard that large breed puppies need exercise in order to strengthen their muscles so that the muscles can help to support the growing/developing bones and joints, so I guess what I'm worried about most is finding the balance between enough/too much exercise,
    You may well know about this but a good rule to follow is the '5 minute rule' -- that is 5 minutes of exercise per month of age. This ensures the pup is getting a good amount of exercise while, perhaps most importantly, protecting the growing joints. Of course, this rule is not set in stone but it is a great guideline. Following the rule for example, your 6 month old pup won't drop dead if instead of 30 minutes of exercise a day you do 40.

For the first 18 months, as others have said, you must take it easy. No forced exercise of any sort. Some of the better types of exercise for a young dog include free running, walking, playing with you or other dogs, retrieving and swimming. When they hit 2 years old you can build up to more strenuous activities if that is your goal. Longer hikes, jogging, maybe a bit of biking together.

Just one word on the "thin", IMO it is not in a pups best interest to keep it "thin". Lean, yes, thin, no. Thin is not healthy. If the pup/dog falls ill and they are thin they have very little to fall back on.
    Orthopedic vets (many) would disagree. There's a difference between thin and malnurished. Perhaps we're splitting hairs here and the difference is just what one defines thin or lean. We may be describing the same thing here, but I know Jes's ortho vet wanted me to keep him thin - weighing less than what he would if he had completely normal hips.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast