Authority Harvest Baked

Thread: Authority Harvest Baked

DefaultAuthority Harvest Baked

My PetsMart has there own brand of dog food, Authority. I don't like the regular one, but the Harvest Baked is their "premium" and it looks really good. It's only $30 for 35 lbs. I found it rated high on a list somewhere, so I switched her from Nutro. I've been feeding it to Izzy for at least a month. She is doing well and really seems to like it. I know that should be all that matters, but I'm just worried because with all the talk about dog food, I haven't heard much about it. I also wanted to let you guys know about it, in case you hadn't heard of it. The vet at Petsmart actually told me that Authority wasn't that great, but he didn't realized that they had the Harvest Baked and was surprised when he saw the ingredients. Here are the top ingredients: Chicken, Whole Ground Wheat, Chicken Meal, Whole Gournd Barley, Canola Oil, Carrots, Salmon Meal, Dried Egg Product, Spinach, Tomatoes, Broccoli, Cranberries, Natural Flavor, Chicory Rooot Extract, Flaxseed, Mnerals... It also has Glucosamine and Chondroitin (although they are at the end of the list). Analysis: Protein - 29.0, Fat 15.0, Fiber 3.0, Omega6 3.0, Omega3 0.6 Glucosamine 375 mg, Chondroitin 100 mg... and more. Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Authority Harvest Baked

Glad it's working for your baby (I like your screen name). I couldn't feed it because one of mine has a wheat allergy so we steer clear of wheat. I have heard of people around here that feed it and are very happy with it. If it's working for you...GOOD!!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Wouldn't feed it because of the wheat and barley.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I fed it to Mocha for a little bit and she did fine on it (well I fed the Lamb and rice version). I just switched because Feeders supply was closer so I went to a different brand I could get there. As long as your dog doesn't have any allergies then it should be fine there are no perfect foods but some are definatley better than others.

Labby has a good article on her site about choosing a dog food here it is. http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/dogfoods.html

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Shame about the wheat as ingredient #2 but apart from that I think it looks good. If it works, stick with it.

Is wheat just as "bad" as corn? I've heard that the problem with corn is that there isn't much nutritional value. Is it the same with wheat? Or is wheat not preferred because of allergy? I'm so confused now.

:-[
    I just found this article:

I have a feeling corn started to get a bad rap in the commercial pet food industry because of people's own experiences with "the kernel." When humans eat corn they typically eat the whole kernel. However, the outer husk or shell of the kernel does not get digested and "shows up" later on in feces (my apologies for the lovely visual). Perhaps this is why some people think that corn is not digested or is just a filler in commercial pet food--who knows.

A filler is an ingredient that serves no nutritional purpose. Corn does NOT fit that description. When pets eat corn from commercial pet food it's ground up. Ground corn is highly digestable and pets can easily absorb the important nutrients that it provides.

These nutrients include a highly available source of complex carbohydrates and substantial quantities of linoleic and linolenic acid, essential fatty acids important for healthy skin. These fatty acids also play important roles in keeping the immune and central nervous systems healthy.

Corn also provides a number of essential amino acids and fiber. It may surprise you to learn that corn is considered to be a nutritionally superior grain by pet food experts because it contains a balance of nutrients not found in other grains.

Let me repeat that in case you missed it the first time: Corn is considered to be a nutritionally superior grain by pet food experts.

I bet you’ve also heard that corn is a major cause of allergies. Nope. Wrong again. More nutritional gossip.

Veterinary dermatologists recently reviewed over 200 confirmed cases of food allergies in the scientific literature. Only three cases were caused by corn (the same number was reported for rice). Foods most often causing canine allergies are beef, dairy products, and wheat. Foods most often causing feline allergies are beef, dairy products, and fish.

It’s true that carbohydrates, including corn, are typically some of the least expensive ingredients in pet foods. Therefore, some people snub their noses at pet foods with ground corn listed as the first ingredient because it must be “cheap.”

However, I doubt these same people also snub their noses at water--a substance vital to life that is always inexpensive and readily available.

Amanda K. Jones is a licensed veterinary technician and e-book author. She has had several articles published in professional veterinary journals and is a Tails, Inc. Magazine Furry Forum Expert.

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Nutritionally, there's really nothing wrong with corn, it provides more than wheat. Wheat isn't all that bad either, assuming there are no allergies and it's not the majority ingredient. Having said that, I avoid them just because most of the recalls revolve around those two ingredients...all of the recent ones have either been over corn or wheat.

Good article! Nothing wrong with corn. I wouldn't want to feed a diet with corn as the primary staple as some dogs foods are corn, wheat, by products, road kill...who knows what. The food you posted is fine if your dog is okay with the corn and wheat in it or if like Nick said, you want to steer clear of those grains as those were the ones in the past few years with problems. I like a food with rice or potatoe although the food I currently feed has barley in it. All but one of my dogs seem to do fine with it. The other has a wheat allergy and I'm just assuming the barley might give him some trouble, too.