Irritated Paws..what to do?

Thread: Irritated Paws..what to do?

DefaultIrritated Paws..what to do?

Cooper has been licking incessantly at his paws in the last few days. The last time this happened the vet told me to put him in warm water with Aveeno Skin Relief Oatmeal in it. It worked great...after 7 days he was much better. This time, though, he didn't even want to get in the water and couldn't get comfortable while he was in there. Seemed to make it worse. Any new suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Irritated Paws..what to do?

Are they thinking it's from a seasonal allergy? Does he only do it when he has been out a lot? If he won't get in the "tub"...try using a bucket and soaking one foot at a time. Also, wipe his feet off immediately after coming in from outdoors. Mine got foot baths last night...I used a nice warm cloth...they thought there were Kings and Queens!
    It could also be from his food; check to see if your food has corn or wheat or soy...some dogs have allergies to those.

Happened to me, I changed the food to a allergy formula (venison - natural balance, very plain dog food) and it went away in a few days, but he got flaky skin (not enough fat), but the licking went away very quickly!!! Now he is on Orijen for about 3 weeks and so far so good. Orijen has chicken and turkey, the same ingredients as the food that made him lick after 4 months on the other food, but it does not have grains. So far, I am super pleased with this dog food.

It could also be airborne allergies??? It could also mean his really bored and not getting enough excersise - BUT i would start with a different protein and maybe no grains as well....if the dogs gets better, you can either go back to the original protein or go back to grains, but not both. Just my opinion.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I have the same problem right now! I started giving the allergy shots two weeks ago anf he's been licking his paws like a cream cone. I have been giving him some benedryl for relief, but it doesn't work. They are very red and swollen looking and I wanted to know what type of solution to put his paws in to help?

Did you change the food? Allergy shots won't help too much if you keep putting the allergy into his system (via food) twice a day. You need to eliminate the allergy. Try a new food, new protein, maybe no or limited grains to start and give it a couple of weeks.

if it is not allergies it could be boredom. Take the dog out for a really long walk or to the or a while and then do some training or something - TIRE the dog out and see it improves.

Most likely it is food or airborne allergies but it could be boredom in some cases. You want to try to stop it before it becomes an OCD issue.