Question re FISH OIL pills
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question re FISH OIL pills

einstein's legacy is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion re FISH OIL pills

I purchased the Kirkland brand, they look like gel tabs...do I need to open them and pour onto the food or just give the tab?? Do I give a daily dose??

TYIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question re FISH OIL pills

I pierce the capsule and squeeze the liquid onto his food (and throw out the capsule). Rocky gets some everyday.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

That's the same kind both Puff and I use.

I swallow mine whole -- Puff does, too, but it takes a dollop of peanut butter on it to get her to do that.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I read on another board that someone went to a seminar where they spoke of fish oil caps. The speaker said they should be pierced and squeezed because a dog's digestive system works faster than a human's and that a dog will not get the benefits of an intact capsule. I know when I was giving Derby probiotic capsules, they passed right through his system, came out in his poop. I then started opening the capsules and sprinkling on his food,

I toss one 3V Cap and one DermCap in Piper's breakfast bwol every morning. She gobbles them right down with the kibble. I know her body does a fine job breaking the capsules down because if I run out of either I can see a change in her coat/skin condition within 2-3 days.

I think Julie (California Lab Lover) tested this with a glass of water!! LOL....appeared it broke down within minutes of hitting the water. Anyway, I use the Kirkland Brand (or I did, I use Nupro now) and tossed it in the bowl with the kibble. If you want to be ABSOLUTELY sure, you can prick it, squeeze it and then toss the squeezed part in the bowl, too.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I know when I was giving Derby probiotic capsules, they passed right through his system, came out in his poop.
    If I saw evidence of that -- as you did with Derby -- I'd do it that way, too.

BUT, I bag every one of Puff's poops (unless she goes in tall weeds or brush) and have never seen or felt any tablets or capsules.

Puff usually begs for her share of peanuts or mixed nuts (I give her cashews) from the 3 lb. Kirkland jars when we're driving someplace and although she crunches them, since she doesn't have molars, the pieces come out largely undigested.

But the Kirkland G&C tablet (which she swallows whole) has never been visibly or tactually present in her stools and neither has the Fish Oil capsule.

And when she's been on cephalexin capsules (antibiotic), the vets at K-State have never asked me to open the caps and sprinkle them.

I think Puff's digestive system makes it not a problem for her.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I just drop them in with the kibble and if for some reason they leave them, THEN I put some peanut butter on the pills.

yellowlab Guest

I use the Spring Valley fish oil capsules from Wal-Mart. I pierce them and squeeze the oil on the food. I, too, did a water and vinegar test. At the end of 12 hours the capsule was still not dissolved, although the oil was visible in the solution. Different brands might have different ingredients in their capsules that affect the rate of absorption. This brand has gelatin, glycerin and soy. Because there is a possibility I may need to give 4-6 capsules a day, I think it is better if the capsules do not build up in his system. (I won't have to worry whether he is passing them or not.) BTW, Barney is now taking 3 a day and I'm seeing a change in his coat already. There is also less shedding and itching.

einstein's legacy is offline Senior Member

Okay, have another question then, is once pierced capsule enough for an 75 and 85 lb lab? Coats are dry and am hoping the fish oil will help!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast