Pros/cons on switching to canned food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pros/cons on switching to canned food

DefaultPros/cons on switching to canned food

I've noticed that in general everyone here seems to feed either dry or raw. What are the pros and cons to feeding canned food? Is it possible to raise a healthy puppy on canned food alone?

Here's the background for why I'm asking: Piper is 5 months old and currently eating Royal Canin LBP. She only averages eating about 1 cup per day, though feeding guidelines for her size and age are 3 cups/day. I know feeding guidelines tend to overestimate, but it seems like Piper eats very little. She sometimes will skip 2-3 meals in a row. It's not just the Royal Canin, I've tried a number of different kibbles since I adopted her, with about the same luck. The only thing that increased her food intake was mixing the dry with canned food. Even then, she doesn't eat much and will skip meals, but was taking in more food than with the dry alone. I've tried the advice "just put out the food and eventually the dog will eat - they don't starve themselves" but this does NOT appear to hold true for Piper. I did break and give her canned mixed with dry on day number six after she went FIVE whole days without touching her food at all. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Pros/cons on switching to canned food

Do you moisten the kibble before giving it to her? FYI, greyhounds are fed an all-meat diet at the track, not raw, but canned and they all have crappy, crappy teeth.

I've tried it both completely dry and moistened. Same results for both of those options.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Are you saying you keep the food out for her at all times? If so, stop. Have you tried putting it down for 15 mins and then picking up and give her nothing, including treats, until the next feeding?

Is she energetic and acting fine other than not eating much? Has she lost any weight? Can you see her ribs? Are you feeding a lot of treats? Does she eat them right away? Lots of questions I know.
    Mocha had a bout when she was about 6 months old where she didn't want to eat she was kind of picky up until then but it got really bad. She would only eat around a cup or so a day even with wet food mixed in she didn't want to eat it. Her weight was good though and she was energetic. My vet told me to start only feeding her meals, put the dry food down for 10 minutes then pick it up. Then again at the next meal time. Feed NO treats at all until she was eating her regular kibble. She said they will not starve themselves but it may take a few days before she eats. Mocha went 2 1/2 days without anything then she started eating with gusto. The vet also said not to make a big deal of her eating just set it down and walk away don't try to coax her or anything. It worked for us. Oh I also switched her food at that time just incase it was the food she didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by kiddsmom
    Are you saying you keep the food out for her at all times? If so, stop. Have you tried putting it down for 15 mins and then picking up and give her nothing, including treats, until the next feeding?
    Oh, no, definitely not leaving the food out at all times. Even if I was thinking of free-feeding Piper, it wouldn't be possible because my cats will eat anything and everything and her food would be long gone. The usual routine around here is meals twice per day, once around 7:00 AM and again around 6:00 PM, for 10 minutes per meal. Then all food is put away. Treats are sporadic - the time that she went five days without food also included no treats whatsoever in an attempt to get her to eat. My trainer does use treat training, so now that we've started training classes, there will likely be more treats. She's even picky about her treats, too. The training may end up going slowly this way, because if she refuses a meal, I still won't do any treating until she has eaten during a mealtime.
    Quote Originally Posted by bacatherine
    Is she energetic and acting fine other than not eating much? Has she lost any weight? Can you see her ribs? Are you feeding a lot of treats? Does she eat them right away? Lots of questions I know.
    She is energetic and acts fine. She isn't losing weight, but also isn't really gaining any weight either. I've read that at her age, she should be gaining 1-2 pounds a week? She's gained two pounds total in the last six weeks. Can't see her ribs. I'm not sure what a "lot" is considered on the treats, but she only gets treats at all if she's eaten at the most recent mealtime. I often try to do any treat-training right after a meal she has eaten so she still has around 10 hours before the next meal to get hungry again. She does eat any treats right away, even after she just had a generally larger meal. (She is picky about her treat, too, and will refuse to eat any that she doesn't like, but I have figured out which ones of those she likes now.) She also loves marrow bones at any time. I don't try to coax her to eat, but I usually do stay in the same room with her. She will follow me around the house, even at mealtime, so if I go to a different room she will follow me to the other room instead of even considering eating. If I close her in a room, she spends the entire 10 minutes whining to be let out and scratching at the door rather than eating. :

Are there any health concerns I should be aware of if I do make a switch?

Yes- teeth. Teeth are much better in a dog that eats dry food.

Have you had her checked by your vet? That's an important first step.

Kibble really doesn't clean their teeth...maybe a tiny bit better than canned, but I've seen some really horrible teeth on kibble-fed dogs. Marrow bones are great for keeping their teeth clean - regardless of what you feed.

I agree with gabby's mom, I'd check with the vet first just to make sure there aren't any medical problems.

She's had a basic vet visit about a month ago, everything seemed normal/healthy at that time. She's going in at the end of this week for her spay and I will definitely ask the vet if a more thorough check needs to be done at that time.

I did give her straight canned food for dinner last night. It was the first time since I've had her that I've seen her complete all the food put out for her.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast