human glucosamine v. cosequin

Thread: human glucosamine v. cosequin

Defaulthuman glucosamine v. cosequin

anyone used both of these and experience difference results?

I know that cosequin is the only glucosamine supplement that has been studied, but as student, the idea of the continued price of cosequin is making me look at other supplements.

I would love to hear about other's experiences.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: human glucosamine v. cosequin

Hi,
    I just had a conversation with Neiko's ortho vet on this subject. He said that human glucosamine has a different pH than that made for dogs, so the bioavailability of the human brands is much lower (a lot of it just passes through). He also said that he has a lot of clients that are human drs and get the human glucosamine for very cheap. There's no harm in that, but it won't be as effect as something like cosequin. Personally, I've only used brands made for dogs, so I don't have a comparison.

Ugh, I was afraid of that.

But on the good side- I've been digging around and have found prices about 40-50 dollars cheaper online than what my vet sells it for. That's much more doable.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I use Osteo Bi-Flex Triple Strength.
    I have never heard of any differences between the use of pet meds or the human ones but I was told to use a good quality brand.
    Kim

I think a lot of people on here use the human version of cosequin for their dogs. I've been using Flex-a-min for Mocha but I was going to try to some of the other stuff next time.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I used Synovi G3 for about 2 years with Maddy after her elbow dysplasia surgery. I honestly feel that the supplements I give her now are working better than when she was just on the Synovi. She takes a human form of G, C, MSM, and Fish Oil, and then she also gets the doggy Glycoflex. Since she has been on this combo, even if I run her in the yard really hard, she doesn't get as stiff or gimpy after resting as she used to.