Pills!?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pills!?

DefaultPills!?

I have tried every attempt to get get Bandit to take his pills. He always finds them and spits them out or he chews them and he starts foaming at the mouth. Now whenever he sees the bottle he runs away from me. Any ideas? TIA!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Pills!?

What all have you tried?

I have tried just putting it in the back of his mouth and gently stroking his throat to make him swallow, this will work but I wish I had an easier way bc he really fights me when I do that.

I have tried:
    -cheese (ate the cheese and spit out the pill)
    -hot dogs (which he threw up)
    -crushing them in applesauce (just smelled it)
    -crushing them in hamburger meat (tasted it but thats all)
    -and just about any food that I feel is safe to give him.
    if he can smell the pills he won't eat it

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

With some pills the only way I can get Cinder to eat them is to put them in a small piece of bread with peanut butter on it. The pill sticks in the middle like a small peanut butter and pill sandwich, and she just swallows. Sometimes with cheese or lunch meat it's too easy to separate them, and then, patooie, out comes the pill. The vet can also give you a pill popper which is what I had to use with Ralphie, my pug, when he needed medicine. It's like a syringe that you put the pill into the end of and then push the plunger after you insert it into the back of their mouth. He was pissed about it though. Good luck.

I'll try the peanut butter bread first and if that doesn't work I'll talk to the vet about the pill popper.
    Thanks!

widespot is offline Member

I dip my dogs in peanut butter, he thinks they're treats now. Eats them without thinking so as I can give with PB now.

Quote Originally Posted by widespot
    I dip my dogs in peanut butter, he thinks they're treats now. Eats them without thinking so as I can give with PB now.
    Oh you mean the pills. LOL! just kidding!
    I thought that was cute, dont mind me

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

PB works great for us (on the pill, not the dog).
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

LOL! Im gonna try the PB tonight hopefully this one works. I just hope he doesn't chew it up

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

You may have to be quick and crafty. My boy is a chewer of his food, so unlike the others! So he tends to chew what I give him and if he finds the pill out it comes. My others would quickly grab up that pill and eat it, no questions asked, so I have to be very careful to get them down him very fast.

I use cheese. Very small piece. Then I have several bigger chunks. Cheese he tends to gobble down faster. So I stuff a little one with the pill and give it and just as fast as that sucker hits his tongue I am tossing AT him other pieces of cheese. Then he knows he has to catch and eat fast. This usually works. But again I do this with him ALONE otherwise if he does drop the one with the pill the others do not get it.

You may need a pill popper.
    Kim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast