Ear cleaning
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ear cleaning

DefaultEar cleaning

Hi Everyone,

Okay, I have another question for you. I am new to all of this and want to make sure I do everything the way I am supposed to

What do you use to clean your lab's ears? Also, what is the correct way to clean their ears? How often?

Thanks again!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Ear cleaning

I'm sure everyone has a different opinion on this... but... I know that when & if you do attempt to clean ur lab's ears. Alot of people have had success with the purple ear solution. You can get the recipe from the woodhaven labs site.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Guinness
    I'm sure everyone has a different opinion on this... but... I know that when & if you do attempt to clean ur lab's ears. Alot of people have had success with the purple ear solution. You can get the recipe from the woodhaven labs site.
    Here is a link to the formula referenced above: http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/ears.html

I haven't tried it - but I'm going to. I just got the Gentian Violet in the mail.

You shouldn't mess with their ears unless they are dirty, gunky, or smelly. You should, however, dry their ears if they get wet.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

goodguy is offline Senior Member

I picked up an ear cleaning solution from my vet. Just squirt a little in there and rub it in with the ear flap closed. Let her shake it out and clean up with cotton balls. They recomend that we do this weekly, but it usually ends up being bi-weekly... I know different vets have different opinions on different dogs.. So I'd check with your vet to be sure...

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I use an ear cleaner by Halo Pet for general cleaning.
    http://shop.halopets.com/product1.cf...&Category_ID=5
    I use the purple ear solution if I have something icky going on.
    Kim

labby is offline Senior Member

I only clean ears IF there is gunk in them. Otherwise I leave well enough alone.

Laura

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I don't clean my dogs' ears either unless they are bothering with them. I have a solution made of witch hazel, boric acid and tea tree oil (couldn't find the gentian violet and found an alternative "recipe") and it works great. Grace was shaking her head and scratching her ear. I cleaned it with the solution and it stopped.

I agree with what has been said. The only thing I would add is handle your dog's ears, feet, and mouth so they are used to it.
    Olie

We use a half & half solution of rubbing alcohol and vinegar (swimmers solution) with cotton balls whenever they need it. You can quite often smell it when something is starting in their ears. My two have started swimming daily already. Don't know how they do it when there still is some ice in the water. Since we have all sorts of geese and other water fowl around here, we will be checking their ears daily.

The only thing about the rubbing alcohol is that if the dog has any open cuts or sores in its ears that stuff is going to burn.
    Olie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast