Back pain

Thread: Back pain

DefaultBack pain

I am wondering if anyone on here has some experience with back pain in there lab. My lab mix (mom Lab - Dad Chow) has come down with back pain. She is very week behind and shaking. She has been to the Vet they took X-Rays and said she has a calcium hook on one of her vertabreas. They prescribed Duramax. The pain is a little better with the Duramax but she is so sick to her stomach she can not eat. I have made her rice and broth etc etc. She won't ever look at dog food. For the incontinence problem they prescribed phenylpropanolamine well this stops the peeing but she really can't eat and very uncomfortable. She can not take both, there is no way! She has been back and forth to the Vet 3 times in the last 2 weeks and she really isn't that much better. Do any of you treat your dogs for back pain and if so, what medication works best for you. If you have any experience with the incontinence problem that would be helpful also. Really anything you can tell me would help me get educated about this problem. Thanks so much
    KG

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Back pain

Poor baby girl. Did the vet say she has arthritis? How old is she?
    When my Sam had arthritis, we had him on Metacam - a liquid that was mixed in with his a.m. meal. That worked really well for him.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Thanks for the reply:
    Baily is 9 yrs old, The vet really hasn't said that she has arthritis but she has symptons like it. However, I think her symptons are more like a pitched nerve, maybe. However, they show pain so differently than we do. She lays with those big eyes and it just kills me. She likes me to lay on the floor with her and rub her back, belly you can just tell she hurts and she sick to her stomach.
    KG

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I'm sorry your baby is going through this. I had a lab mix that had disc and back trouble. She used both rimadyl and deramaxx off and on. You always have to give it with food. I also would put a heating pad on her dog bed for her to lie on. She would cry out in pain when she tried to stand up. We had surgery done on her but things did not end well. We lost her 4 months later from what the vet thinks was a clot or fragment from the surgery that went to her brain. I always have wished I'd have just kept her on pain meds; hindsight, ya know.
    There is a drug they can give you to help with the incontinence; Phenylpropalanine, which you can get from your vet.

mattgusmum is offline Senior Member

Two of my dogs are on meds for incontinence and that works very well. They have both been on it for years now and neither have any leaking at all now.

Blue is on daily Metacam for pain relief from his arthritis. He has also just started acupuncture on Wednesday to see if it helps his Degenerative Myelopathy. He is very painful along his spine and didn't like the needles going in at all but soon relaxed, once they were in, and even started to doze off. We are hoping that the acupuncture will at the very least give him some additional pain relief even if it doesn't help his mobility issues associated with the DM. He will be having treatments once a week. Maybe acupuncture will help Baily.

Edited to add - I just given Blue a massage, along his spine, and he has soooo much less pain along there even after just one treatment

Won't someone please feed me!