I know this is probably wrong but...

Thread: I know this is probably wrong but...

GraphiteEvo9 Guest

DefaultI know this is probably wrong but...

Someone told me today that if I neuter before he is full grown, that he will not grow anymore after he is neutered. I know this is most likely false, but now the idea is in my head. By next month murphy will be 6 months, and I plan on getting him neutered. Everyone seems to say this is the right age for neutering but when I get him neutered next month it will be in the back of my head.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I know this is probably wrong but...

Laura

Of course he will continue to grow. There have been a number of articles, studies, etc recently that indicate that neutering early may affect the dog's final size. I have known some labs who were neutered at the recommended 6-8 months who are absolutely HUGE (not fat, just big). I have also seen some intact males who are very petite. There are many other health issues discussed in a thread that labby posted yesterday. This is a decision you should make with your vet after discussing all the pros and cons. If you come across some information that causes you concern, bring it to the vet with you and discuss it. The article that posted indicates that neutering/spaying too early could result in a higher risk of different cancers....I have also seen articles that indicate that the processed kibbles are believed to contribute to cancers...so who do you believe? Personally, I choose to trust my vet.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I am now picturing lots of fully grown labs who are only 30 pounds! If this were true, then think of all the labs that end up in shelters or rescue who are fixed before they are adopted out - they'd be stuck forever at the size of an 8 or 10 week old! Back yard breeders would fix them early so that they could sell rare "mini labs"!