Oh Crap, vet thinks its allergies

Thread: Oh Crap, vet thinks its allergies

DefaultOh Crap, vet thinks its allergies

Oakley has had a rash on her belly. Had her to the vet about 3 weeks ago and he thought it wasn't too bad to put her on another medication for. Just to watch the rash and if it got worse to come back, well we had to go back. He agreed that it was worse so he did a scraping. No mites but bacterial infection present. Now we are on antibiotics. The vet thought that the rash is probably due to allergies. So he is recommending a blood test for allergies. Cost $460.
    Oakley is on a food made here in Canada called ProSeries www.coreypetfoods.ca
    Chicken meal, fish meal, ground yellow corn, ground whole wheat barley, barley, brewers rice. . .
    those are the first listed ingredients. I also add a little flaxseed to help with her dandruff (which it has).

I think I want to change her food first before I do the allergy tests.
    Any recommendations? should I avoid the chicken first? the corn?

Just got her bladder problems under control, now this.
    Thank you for any info.
    Lana and Oakley

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Oh Crap, vet thinks its allergies

First, I would get her off corn, wheat, barley; soy...anything like that. Second...how long has she had the rash? It could be a seasonal allergy to grasses, etc. You can give her benadryl to help, if she is itching. Did the vet give you anything for it? I would personally hold off on the testing. Food allergies are rare, but a lot of dogs have trouble with wheat/soy/corn.

Dave_and_Christie Guest

I agree with ZoeZoe. Try changing food first. I am also in Canada (AB.); Don't think I've ever seen ProSeries before though. Looking through their website I came across their "Holistic Adult" food. No wheat and no corn, and the rest of the ingredients seem okay. You could try switching to that if you want to stick with the ProSeries.
    Eagle Pack makes a great holistic food aswell that a lot of people on this board use. I myself will be switching Sadie to Eagle Packs' holistic chicken and rice soon.
    I have been down the allergy road before with Sadie, and I know it can be frustrating. Hang in there!

How old is Oakely btw?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Oakley will be a year on Apr 14.

I don't think it would be anything seasonal as it is just thawing out here now and she has had the rash for a bit, through the winter.
    The vet gave us an antibiotic to clear the bacterial infection causing the rash.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

No I would do the testing. You can easily spend that amount swithing to a dozen different foods.
    Do the test and you will know your next step.
    Kim

Guinness has a similar problem with his skin etc & the vet seems to think that it's an environmental allergy. Although, I did switch foods too just to be on the safe side. Now Guinness is eating ProPlan SS and has done really well on it so far. He's also on a low dose of Vanecytl P. We tried the Benadryl.. but it didn't work for him.

I switched Oona's food about a year ago. I give her Nature's Recipe Lamb, Rice, and Barley. It doesn't have any wheat or corn in it. I've also eliminated all dairy from her diet.
    Olie

Thanks for the replies.
    I have started this morning to switch her over to Canidae lamb and rice. I had a few trail packs in the cupboard. I picked it as it doesn't have the gluten, what, soy, etc plus it was the change in protein from chicken and fish to lamb. She actually didn't attack her breakfast very quickly this morning. Not sure if it was the pill that I hid in it or the new food.
    We'll see when she gets her supper.

Lana

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Hope she is doing better on her new food.

ground yellow corn, ground whole wheat barley, barley are some of the bad ingredients. Though some dogs are actually allergic to certain types of meat.

BUT if you are still having problems, I would do the test. As long as it's the one that will tell you everything the dog is allergic to...