Giving pills
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giving pills

DefaultGiving pills

Hi Everyone!!!

I am new to this board. We are adopting a 4 yr old yellow lab named bailie next thursday. The owner's baby developed asthma and bailie needs a new home. My husband and I are very excited and have many questions. I was reading the posts on heartworm pills....I know this is probably a silly question but how do you give your dogs pills? Do they simply take them or do you put in food or wrap in a piece of cheese?

Thanks so much for your help!!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: Giving pills

They are chewable and apparently taste good. But for future reference, the easiest way to give a pill of any type is to put peanutbutter or cream cheese on it and then just sort of scrape it into their mouth -- they spend so much time licking that it goes down without them knowing it. ;D

Oh and congrats on the new furbaby. Post pictures when you get him!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

My Labs think pills are tasty treats and they take them right out of my hand.

Trick my Collie cross takes a bit more convincing...peanut butter, as mentioned above, works for him.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yup Heart Worm pills are chewy and tasty to them and they take it like treats. Any other pills Mocha chops right down with her food if I need to give something at a time other than her meal time I use a little peanut butter or cheez wiz.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bacatherine
    Yup Heart Worm pills are chewy and tasty to them and they take it like treats. Any other pills Mocha chops right down with her food if I need to give something at a time other than her meal time I use a little peanut butter or cheez wiz.
    Barbara is right -- really most pills (I give a cranberry pill daily) I just throw in her dish. It's just hoovered up with the rest of her food. I was really referring to pills given outside of meal time -- then I use the peanut butter or cream cheese trick.

Peanut butter is one of the things I found that worked best for our first two labbies. This last one though, she is a very dainty eater (not a Hoover like the first two) and she has spit the pills out after cleaning the PB off, she also eats around them in her dish. I finally decided if she wouldn't do it the easy way, we would have to do it the hard way! I have to give her a thyroid pill every AM & PM..I just call her, tell her it is time for her pill and she comes & sits right in front of me. I open her mouth and place the pill as far back on her tongue as I can, hold her mouth shut for a second and down it goes! Turns out the "hard way" is actually the easy way with Gracie! ;D She knows she gets a treat after every pill (I use the Innova samples that I pick up at the feed store!) so it has worked out great! Just remember that every dog is different so you may need to try a couple different methods before you hit on the right one!

Good luck and have fun with your new labbie!

They have these treats called "Pill Pockets". They have an opening at one end and you just insert the pill and mold the opening to close it. They have a meaty taste to it and Merry (my lab) just engulf its! Also, if i do not have any of those treats available. I just open her mouth and gently push the pill to the back of her throat. I then stoke her throat to help her swallow. i have heard that if you blow into their nose, it forces them to swallow. I haven't tried it though.

TrappersMom is offline Senior Member

I wrapped the pill in sliced American cheese. I'd fold a small piece of cheese around the pill and while I was giving him that, I'd hold a second piece of cheese in my other hand in plain view. He was so focused on the second cheese that he'd inhale the first one intact. Worked every time.
    Dot in Northern Illinois

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

My first Lab (Bess) easily accepted a pill thrust down her throat.

My present Lab (Puff) does not.

What worked out well for Puff was scooping up a dab of Kraft's Philadephelia Cream Cheese on the end (until I found that the dairy constituent made for a softer stool).

After that, we switched to PB and that's gone well.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Dani is offline Senior Member

I just open up Rider's mouth and put it down his throat and he swallows it. His HW med is yummy so he just eats it...just like his cosequin pills.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast