Making your own dog food and treats

Thread: Making your own dog food and treats

DefaultMaking your own dog food and treats

I'm looking to start making my own dog food and treats so I can know what Emma is eating and that it's as healthy as possible. Does anyone know of a good resource for a stable diet with good recipes?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Making your own dog food and treats

Making your own dog food? Do you mean feeding RAW?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Nope. I mean baking them healthy treats instead of the crap you buy at the store. Stuff that is truly good for them. I want to do all I can for Emma to remain active all her life...plus extend her life as long as possible.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I much agree with your goal.

When I got my Puff, I saw that many treats had a number of ingredients I didn't like.

The commercial dried banana pieces had a number of preservatives and so did almost everything else.

So I bought a food dehydrator (Sunbeam brand, very economical) and for the first couple years dehydrated banana & apple slices, salmon (mistake -- it disintegrates into flakes), as well as other foods.

These worked very well as treats -- they're HEALTHY treats -- but they do take a bit of time.

After a year or so, since Puff is not allergic to wheat, I found that a few cookies from a bulk container of Animal Crackers worked well (VERY low kcals/high acceptance) and stopped using the dehydrator.

I think for an adequately complete diet, it would be VERY hard to match or beat some of the better providers. There are SO many values (protein, carbs, fat, fiber, vitamins, minerals, etc.) to match to equal an AAFCO statement that the food "provides complete and balanced nutrition for all life stages."

IMO,that's not easily done.

Getting neither too MUCH or too LITTLE of an ingredient becomes progressively more difficult the smaller the amount.

Measuring out 1% or 0.3% of a needed, necessary element is much easier in a batch made up and thoroughly mixed for one million dogs than it is for one dog.

A 3% error in measuring the quantity needed in the recipe for one million dogs makes an infinitessimal error in the amount each dog receives. But, for one dog, it becomes much larger.

The problems of accurately measuring so many critical elements would dissuade me from attempting to home cook my Lab's food.

I prefer to evaluate the ingredient lists and the integrity of the mfr and make my choices from that.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

i make my own liver treats with thin sliced fresh beef liver. i boil it for about 5-10 minutes then i drain it and lay it on cookie sheets in the oven on low about 200 - 250'C for a couple of hours then i cube and freeze in small baggies. Try googleing dog food recipes i have come across many but i raw feed so i didn't bookmark. if i see any though i'll pass them along. Good Luck

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I tend to use bits of "people" food for treats but not ALL commerical dog treats are terrible. For example, Innova EVO make high quality no grain treats:

http://www.naturapet.com/display.php...D%271307%27%5D

labby is offline Senior Member

Do you have a degree in canine nutrition?

Laura