When to Spay? Currently in Heat...

Thread: When to Spay? Currently in Heat...

DefaultWhen to Spay? Currently in Heat...

I've been a little uncomfortable for the last week since I'm in heat and mom and dad have really restricted me to the kitchen when I'm not in my [fully fenced] backyard, on a walk or in my crate. I can't help leaving this yucky little spots everywhere but they told me the kitchen is the only room where they can easily clean the floor.

Unfortunately I was under the weather and underweight for quite awhile after the baby came home and mom and dad didn't want me to undergo major surgery until they were sure I was fine. I'm now still a bit light for my age but not too skinny anymore and have a clean bill of health from my vet. I'm 11 months of age and this seems to be my first 'heat'. Is it safe for mom and dad to spay me now or should they wait til my 'heat' is over. They don't mind being a little extra vigilant for awhile if it means that the operation will be safer for me.

Is there any real extra risk in having my spay done now? We don't want to ask our regular vet since we're planning on going to the local speciality spay and neuter clinic. That clinic mentionned extra cost but didn't mention any extra risk. I guess I'm really growing up!

Corbell

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: When to Spay? Currently in Heat...

Corbell...it will be much, much safer for you if your mom and dad wait another 3 wks or so (at least- they likely have at least another 5-6 months before your next cycle, too!) before even thinking of scheduling your surgery. Right now, there is a very high risk of bleeding associated with that surgery.

One thing to make sure your parents know is that boys have been known to hang around when you're looking (and smelling) especially beautiful this time of year, and have been known to scale fences higher than 8 ft tall to get to a pretty girl who is in heat. Also, they have even been known to "try things" (often successfully) *through* wire fences, too! You should remain indoors and go outside only on a leash or in the fenced yard under mom and dad's DIRECT supervision (ie- they're standing right there).

Oh, and tell your parents that they can always invest in a couple of pairs of "panties" specially made for girls like you to help with the mess in the house.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Yep, I agree, wait a while after she finishes to schedule the spay and no unsupervised outside time. I really wouldn't be taking too many walks either...your basically a walking advertisement right now. I also second the panties. If being stuck in the kitchen isn't her normal thing, I don't see it as being fair because you waited to spay her.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Wait at least 4-6 weeks after a season to spay. It allows the blood vessels to go back down to normal size.

Laura

The experts have spoken and I agree.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

If you buy the pants for Corbell, you won't have to lock her up in the kitchen. We have an intact girl and when she's in season, she sports her pants and thinks the world is just Grand. How can you not when you are wearing pink pants????

labby is offline Senior Member

Just watch that they don't eat the pad.

Laura

georgie is offline Senior Member

Hi Corbell. I just was spayed last week. My mom bought me these panties that hold pads & I had to wear them for 9 days. : They watched me like a hawk...even in my fenced yard I was not allowed out by myself.

I was supposed to be spayed three days after my mom noticed a spot of blood on the floor. I had to wait almost 8 weeks to be spayed. My vet said it was better to wait, less bleeding because everything would be back to normal for a girl.

I am getting my stitches out Tueady & I feel good.

Your friend,
    Abby