Yikes! A tick!

Thread: Yikes! A tick!

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultYikes! A tick!

On Sunday Sam and I went hiking with Apollo as usual. After our walk Sam spotted a tick on apollo's ear and quickly removed it from apollo. We checked him over to see if we could find anymore ticks, but we couldn't. It kinda concearned me because I have many animals in my home. If a tick were to get on one of my ferrets (especially my old sick one) they would quickly cause anemia and death in the ferrets. So as you can see I really am concearned in case there was a tick or two on Apollo that I missed. Are their any sprays or natural "remidies" to kill any possible ticks on apollo? I don't want them getting him or the ferrets or cats sick. Thanks.
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: Yikes! A tick!

I feel your pain ~ this is actually what I was trying to get an answer to over in the Holistic section. We have serious tick problems in my area. I just can't find a way around using something like Frontline or Advantix. Unfortunately, even Frontline/Advantix will only kill the tick after it's attached itself for 24 -48 hours. You might want to run a google search on Neem Oil.

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

Thanks I appreciate it. You see ONE tick on apollo honestly doesn't worry me (as long as its not carrying Lyme disease) but ONE tick on one of my ferrets and they would die very quickly if that tick got fat and had babies. I just don't want ticks all over my house, YUCK!!!
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

It's not the ticks I see that worry me ... it's ones I don't see.

Ticks can carry transmit more than just Lyme ~ there is also RMSF, Ehrlichiosis, etc. I wish I had an answer for you. I'm still searching for a reliable alternative myself.

I don't think there is anything that you can use to prevent ticks from jumping on your dog. And as stated a for a flea to infect your dog it has to be on your dog for about 48 hours. If your dog is on Frontline the meds usually kill the tick within 18 to 24 hours. The best thing you can do is check your dog over carefully before it comes in the house.
    Olie