Another fish oil question

Thread: Another fish oil question

yellowlab Guest

DefaultAnother fish oil question

Just wondering if anyone has used the fish oil from Nature's Logic? It is called North Atlantic Sardine Oil. The literature states it contains 736mg of EPA, and 460mg of DHA per tsp. The cost is $23.99 for 32 oz. Does that sound reasonable for that amount and with those concentrations of fatty acids?

How about the Cold Water Fish Oil from Urban Carnivore? It, too, has high concentrations of the fatty acids. 802mg of EPA and 524mg of DHA. It also has 101 mg of Vit E. The cost is $12.95 for 250ml. There is a shippiing charge of $8.95 on this oil. The Nature's Logic has a shipping charge of $7.99. (Shipping is calculated to my address.)

If no one has used these, what brand are you using and how much do you give?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Another fish oil question

I used the Walmart brand - Equate, salmon and fish oil. It seems to work really well and it is relatively cheap.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I'm currently using Kronch Wild Salmon Oil. Here's it's breakdown:

Omega-3 Fatty Acids:1050 mg
    Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA):350 mg
    Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA):450 mg
    Omega-6 Fatty Acids:150 mg

I believe I paid about $30 for a 35 oz. bottle. Sami gets 3 "squirts" a day.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I'm using a different brand this time around but generally I just look for one where the only ingredient is salmon oil. Obviously one also has to consider that there are other ingredients in the actual capsule as well.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

What's the benefit of the fish oil?

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I use (for both Puff and myself) Costco's Kirkland (house brand) Fish Oil containing:
    -- EPA 180 mg
    -- DHA 120 mg
    This is in a "1000 mg Concentrated Fish Oil Capsule"

Costco is a warehouse club similar to Sam's Club but (IMO) with merchandise of a higher quality at a slightly greater price.

In Consumer Reports evaluations of quality vs. price, Kirkland/Costco products frequently are at or near the top of the list.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

yellowlab Guest

Thanks everyone for the replies to my questions. uivandals, you asked about the advantages of fish oil. I was advised by my vet to give it to boost the immune system in dogs with allergies. I believe it also improves skin and coat conditions. There is probably a more knowledgeable person on this board that can tell us more about it.

Currently, I am using a 1000mg capsule with 180mg of EPA, and 120mg of DHA from Wal-mart. However, the vet (and everything I have read) recommends giving large amounts. I do not have an exact amount in mg's, but was advised to start with 1, increase by 1 each week until I see improvement. He thinks at least 4-6 daily. I do recall reading guidelines to give one capsule for every 20#. That is why I was interested in the Nature's Logic. With the high concentrations it might be the best buy. The Kronch Oil sounds like a good concentration, also... assumming that is the amount in one "squirt".

It would be interesting to know if anyone else is giving it in the recommended larger amounts.