Lyme Desease

Thread: Lyme Desease

DefaultLyme Desease

Does anybody have any experience with Lyme Desease? Is it curable? One of our dogs is showing some of the signs of it, swollen elbows, hadly able to walk, etc............... We are waiting for results from a blood test the vet did for an answer on what it is................................................ I hate the waiting period.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TBGSAM is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Lyme Desease

Yes. Lyme is treatable, usually 28-30 days on doxycycline off for 2-3 weeks then retested, and treated again if needed. We are going through this with our oldest Coleman, he was actually misdiagnosed with lyme, for several years. The damage to Coleman's body will never be corrected but at least the process has been slowed. The waiting is the hardest part, please keep us updated.
    Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05, Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I don't have any experience...just wanted to send some good thoughts.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

I have an old girl here with Lymes. It is "curable" only if caught in the early stages. If treatment is postponed it can go into a chronic state. Unfortunatly, my girl has chronic Lymes. Symptoms will go away with antibiotics but when she goes off of them it is only a matter of time till she has the next flare up. I have talked to my vet and she has agreed to put her on antibiotics and leave her on them. I should also note that when she first started having sympoms and was taken in to the vets my original vet told me that the chances of her having Lymes was very slim, as we don't have Lymes in Michigan. (We have a new vet now.) Also it is not uncommon to get a false negative when testing for Lymes, depending on the type of test (Western Blot, C6, ect., there are several different types of tests out there).

Also, if this is Lymes I would not let my vet put the dog on steroids of any kind. You can have further copmlications later on down the road if they are used.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

YES! The results came back negative.

Right on!! Good news!!

Where are you located? In Central NY the combination of available habitat and increased deer population have led to the increase of incidents of Lyme disease. The vets in the area advise that pets are on preventives year round. Because we are in the woods everyday, this year I got Oona vaccinated for Lyme.
    Olie

Is that good news, I once had a dog that limped and and hate to say it, I was really hoping he came back positive for lyme disease as you can manage it. It ended up being something wrong with his spine/neck - a much bigger issue.

So if it is not lyme, do you know what is causing the limping, swollen joints?

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

So if it is not lyme, do you know what is causing the limping, swollen joints?
    That was my first thought, too.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

That's good that it's not Lyme. Problems with the joints can be as severe as Lyme or an autoimmune disease, or it could be stress if the dog is super active.

Maddy had a swollen wrist and sometimes limped, but we recall an injury that we felt she probably got. The vet scared us into about $700 worth of tests, including Lyme (we didn't even live in an area that Lyme was prevalent) and it ended up just being a chronic stress injury. Some of the high drive retrievers will get things like that.