non-surgical options for HD

Thread: non-surgical options for HD

Defaultnon-surgical options for HD

As most of you know, Gabby has been diagnosed with HD. She's in a bit of pain, so I'm trying to think of more ways to make her comfortable while we get our ducks in a row and decide if she's a surgical candidate or not.

The vet has her on Maloxicam- she reacted poorly to Carpofen and Rimadyl after the spay. The Maloxicam is giving her diarrhea, so I don't think it's going to be around long.

She is also on Cosequin right now (she was on 1500 mg of glucosamine prior to the diagnosis as well).

I was thinking about getting an orthopedic pet bed for her. Do these help? She has a fluffy bed in her crate now, but I'm wondering if the ortho bed would limit the pressure on her hips.

Has anyone else found anything else that worked?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: non-surgical options for HD

I'd definitely check with your vet before, but there's another supplement made by the same people that make Cosequin called Duralactin. It's supposed to help with inflammation - it's not a glucosamine supplement, so it's not a replacement for Cosequin.

MSM is also supposed to reduce inflammation. Both of those were recommended by Jes's ortho vet should we ever cross that bridge.

You may also want to ask your vet about Adequan injections. It has shown amazing results in some dogs. It didn't work for us (bilateral ED) but I know of others and particularly those with HD it did work for. You may also want to sign up for the orthodogs group in yahoogroups. Sorry to have to say - welcome to the club.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I just joined Orthodogs last night! I remembered Susan (WeHeartLabs) mentioning it- it seems like a really great resource and while I'm not happy to deal with this issue, I am happy there is such a great resource out there.

My last horse had terrible arthritis in his hock- we used daily Cosequin and Adequan injections. I can't get over how expensive it is for dogs- it was much cheaper for my horse!