Eagle Pack

Thread: Eagle Pack

DefaultEagle Pack

Hello I am interested in switching my brand to Eagle, is it necessary to go with Large Breed? or can i do the holistic chicken and supplement with Glucosimine supplements? i have heard good things about the holistic chicken. Presently the boys are on Euk Lamb & Rice... i would like to change to a chicken based, i of course will transition slowly, but is it a big deal to switch from Lamb to chicken?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Eagle Pack

For Jes's kibble portion, I either feed Diamond Chicken or Eagle Pack's Chicken. I wouldn't worry so much about the glucosamine, there's not enough in there to worry about. I'd supplement that on your own.

Large Breed Adult foods are useless, so no, it's not necessary. It's not harmful, but there's no benefit either. If you like it, feed, if not I wouldn't worry about a food not being "large breed" specific.

I like Eagle Pack as a company. I've been told by a owner of a pet food retailer that has visited their plant that they are one of a few companies (Innova is another) that actually slaughters the chickens at their plant. They also own their own plant and make their own food. This gives them greater control over the quality and freshness of the ingredients.

As for switching protein sources, no, it's no big deal. For the raw portion of Jes's diet (evening meal) I often vary protein sources.

lablover is offline Senior Member

I have feed Eagle Holistic for the past 4+ years. I have used the large breed adult ... only because they had a special on it, like buy a bag get one free, or a bonus weight bag. Normally I use the fish or the chicken. I have found once you are on their food you have no problems switching different types of their food.

I do use Glucosimine supplements for Nutmeg with what ever I feed as she is 12 years old.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

I feed Eagle Pack Holistic Select Chicken and Rice food to my two girls and get great results. I always feed my own glucosamine supplement, as the amounts added to food are not enough to really do any good, IMO.

Eagle Pack's large breed food does have L-Carnitine added, which is supposed to be beneficial to big dogs. I was going to change my girls to it, but they are doing so well on the Chicken that I hate to mess with a good thing. I have fed many foods (probably too many over the years and for my dogs Eagle Pack works better than anything else I have tried.

Essy is on the Holistic Chicken & Rice as well.

Dave_and_Christie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Labsrme
    I feed Eagle Pack Holistic Select Chicken and Rice food to my two girls and get great results. I always feed my own glucosamine supplement, as the amounts added to food are not enough to really do any good, IMO.

Eagle Pack's large breed food does have L-Carnitine added, which is supposed to be beneficial to big dogs. I was going to change my girls to it, but they are doing so well on the Chicken that I hate to mess with a good thing. I have fed many foods (probably too many over the years and for my dogs Eagle Pack works better than anything else I have tried.
    I am really considering Eagle Pack for Sadie for when we switch her to adult food coming up very soon here. She is still currently on Iams LBP. She is a year old now and it's time for Adult food aswell as a better quality food (I know, she should've been on a better food already). I also keep hearing good things about the holistic chicken as many people on this board rave about it. I also find comparing the regular Holistic chicken to the "Large Breed Adult" Holistic Chicken a little confusing. The differences seem very slight besides 1% less fat and double the glucosimine levels in the LB formula. The ingredients are practically identical. I'm guessing either one would be just fine but it just makes it harder to choose one over the other.

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

I agree, the ingredients of the Holistic Chicken and Rice vs. the Large and Giant Breed Adult are practically identical. I could probably switch my girls to the Large Breed without a hitch, but they are looking sooooo good right now I can't bring myself to do it. They have the best coats they have ever had in their lives and they are feeling great.

I think you can just pick one and go with it - either one should be a great choice. BTW, if you want your dog to get glucosomine in their diet you should plan on supplementing it with glucosamine/chondroitin pills. That way, no matter how much or how little your dog eats they will have adequate supplementation. If you are not going to supplement with glucosamine then the Large and Giant breed food may be a better choice for you, since I believe it has higher levels of G/C.

Dave_and_Christie Guest

Thanks. Ya, I see that a lot of people on here that use supplements (glucosamine/fish oils). I'll think I'll be going that route as well no matter which particular Eagle Pack Holistic food I end up using. I actually stopped by our local pet store/pharmacy today just to look at the Eagle Pack and other foods and compare. I looked at ingredients, analysis %, variety, recommend servings, and overall prices. Though I was already leaning towards Eagle Pack, I am totally convinced now that this is the brand we are switching Sadie to. I'm actually excited to make the switch for Sadie. Sounds a bit weird, but it's true.
    Couple questions:
    1. Sadie is 70 lbs and the recommended serving for 70-80lbs was 3 - 31/2 cups/day (Holistic chicken/rice). So I guess Sadie would be getting about 3 cups. How much do you feed your Labs?
    2. When it comes to supplements (glucosamine & chondroitin), what mg is an average doseage for an adult Lab? Something like 600 mg/pill 3 xday? Not so minimal, but also not the highest amount you can get?