We brought our new baby Cassie home from the breeder just this past Saturday. She's 10 weeks old and a real lovey-dovey. I had our first vet visit appointment set up for tomorrow, but I moved it up to today. I'm really worried. Yesterday I found she was covered in fleas - tons of them - and treated her with Frontline Plus, which is labeled as safe for pups 8 weeks and older. Last night she started peeing every 5 minutes, just a few drops. Ugh, my first thought was UTI or bladder infection. This morning the frequent peeing (just a few drops each time) continues and some are tinged pink and one small puddle had an evident clot of blood. She's also whimpering each time she goes, so I know she's uncomfortable. In addition to the urinary symptoms she didn't eat much breakfast this AM, then vomit all she ate about an hour later. She's vomit liquid 3 times since. Her stools, which were firm Sat/Sun have turned to very soupy "soft-serve" and I'm seeing white dots in the sample I just collected for the vet.
We're leaving in just a few minutes for the vet and I'm hoping for news that this is simple and treatable and praying he doesn't tell me I made her sick by using the Frontline (all symptoms started after I did it). Please send any good thoughts you can our way. This baby has only been ours for 2 days, but she's been a long time in the waiting and in my heart for a long time.
I can understand why you're so concerned. I hope Cassie is feeling better by the time you get home from the vet. I'll watch for an update.
Judith and Scout
Michelle, it sounds like a UTI. I hope and pray that's all it is.
Poor little thing.
"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"
Praying it won't be anything serious!
Hopefully its nothing serious.
♣ Laura ♣
Just got back from the vet. Cassie has Giardia, so he put her on meds for that. She has some leukosites (sp?) and blood in her urine and he suspects and is treating for a UTI, but will only give a tentative diagnosis until he gets the full panel back from the lab tomorrow. He's concerned with both the frequency (every 2-3 minutes, constantly) and the teeny, tiny amount she's peeing (like 5 drops at a time). If the antibiotics for the UTI don't change her habits (and/or the full panel comes back clean) he wants to test her for an ectopic ureter. The testing alone for the ectopic ureter is costly and the corrective surgery - which would be absolutely necessary, soon - would be around $1500. I feel sick.
We spoke briefly about the overall condition she presented with today - fleas, parasites, a possible UTI or possible anatomical malformation. He said he can write me a "no sale" letter to return her to the breeder if I want, but feels we should wait and see how she's responding to the meds. He told me to call the breeder and give her his findings from today as a heads up. He also feels I'm within my rights to request a partial refund due to the $300 bill from today alone. I'm sick, I want to curl up in a ball and snuggle my yellow puffball. I've been crying since we left there and can't stop. I don't want to make this call. Hold me.
What a terrible situation to be in...I'm hoping things turn out for the better for you.
Oh how frustrating. I pray it's a UTI that can be easily treated. I know you must have looked so forward to this day and now have this happen. I hope this breeder will be cooperative with you.
You poor thing. That is really tough. I personally would go back to the breeder. And I wouldn't deal with them again.
I hope this isn't out of line but how much did you pay for her? I hope that it's just a UTI and not something more serious. Is this something you just noticed or has she been doing it all along?