ACL Surgery -Vito update

Thread: ACL Surgery -Vito update

DefaultACL Surgery -Vito update

>
    Well,Vito had to have x-rays last week, and surgery has been scheduled for this Wednesday.Apparently left leg is a gonner, and the right has a partial rupture.
    I am an absolute wreck! First sign of anything wrong was literally a week ago when he couldn't get up from sitting. No limping, nothing -it was only after I took him to the vet that he started holding up his right leg a bit.Still I am glad there is a solution of sorts.Poor baby has to do one leg, and then the other in a few months.
    I am considering getting him neutered at last, (while he is under) but have not mentioned it to the vet. Is it too much to have both surgeries at the same time?
    Also I have done a LOT of reading on the net about the surgery itself, but there does not seem to bee too much info on aftercare other than limiting exercise. What should I be prepared for?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: ACL Surgery -Vito update

No advice. I just wanted to send good thoughts for Vito. There are several people on here who have had the surgeries. I am sure they will post.

Thank you. Feel really upset this morning -I hate that he feels awful.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hi,
    Lily had acl surgery on the 9th of March. We chose the traditional repair over the TPLO. The surgery went very well and Lily is now in the recovery phase. We had our 10 day check up last Monday and the staples were removed at that time and we began ROM (range of motion exercises) then. They will show you how do these at the staple removal appt. When Lily came home we had to ice her leg 3-4 times daily and she was on medication to help with inflammation. Stairs can be done but only with the aid of a sling and done slowly and carefully. It is most important to crate or use and exercise pen to keep the dog in confinement so that they can heal. Each surgeon has his/her protocol of this and the length of it..it will vary depending on the surgeon and the repair that is chosen (traditional vs. tplo). I'm sorry that your boy is going thru this but it is going to be ok and he will be fine. If you have any other questions feel free to pm me. I know others here that have gone thru it - it is not an uncommon surgery, and I am sure they will post also. I was scared to death before the surgery and I must say it has not been the nightmare I envisioned. Have you decided on what repair he will have?
    Colby

Hi Colby -thanks.We have gone for the option of the traditional repair also. I am at home all day every day so keeping Vito confined and quiet hopefully won't be a problem -we do not have a crate. He is a *shadow* dog, ie he follows me EVERYWHERE I go - constantly.From one room to another,even every 5 minutes, he does not stay put.
    This I can see will be a problem unless I camp in the front room all the time with him -I expect I will be spending a few nights downstairs on the sofa. I have had a good old cry today and feel a bit better, but am scared rigid!

I am frantically searching for a soft e collar in time for Wednesday, they are impossible to get here in Ireland. I probably will make one myself, those hard plastic ones look awful.
    Must admit I had a bit of a sobbing session this morning -Vito just lies there looking at me, and I adore him so so much, my head is full of awful thoughts that things might go wrong.I'm pretty sure they won't, but of course they might, and I couldn't bear it.Will try and have good thoughts!

You're welcome. I PM'd you.
    Colby

Well, today I am a WRECK.My head is exploding from reading so much about the surgery, and other stuff. I could almost scrub in and assist :
    Poor Vito had his breakfast this morning and now can't eat at all as his op is tomorrow- 24 hours fasting seems a lot to me, I thought it was 12, or maybe that's just us.
    I have made my own horrific modified version of a soft e collar from 1" thick foam and probably will not be posting a pic of it -may not need it if I'm lucky.Have spent most of this morning covering it with fabric,stuck pins in my fingers and had a row with the husband -I feel so stressed.
    What are the odds of the vet letting me bring Vito home tomorrow night rather than leaving him there? I could give him one-to-one TLC. Thanks to all who gave me advice, I know a lot of you have gone through the same thing.

And a BIG thanks to those who PMd me, I am trying to hold it together

DefaultRe: ACL Surgery -Vito is OK!

Just had a call from David my vet -Vito is fine and the surgery went well. He is in recovery, alert and snuggling my manky t-shirt.I am delighted -and even more delighted as David said I can collect him in a couple of hours to bring him home.
    Have been on tenterhooks all day,so am now thrilled that it is over.
    Off for a glass of wine...!!