Cataract Worries

Thread: Cataract Worries

DefaultCataract Worries

Polly came from the shelter missing an eye. I was told that both she and her brother from a litter of seven had suffered a ruptured phthisical (sp?) globe -- basically, their eyeballs never formed. When she was fixed, they cleaned out the socket and permanently closed the eyelid. She's always done just fine, except for the occasional head bump. A day or two ago, we were at the park, and I noticed she was looking for me. I wasn't terribly far away, but I had to call to her before she was sure. I checked her eye out, and found what seems like the beginning of a cataract. I haven't been able to find too much information on what to do -- does anyone have any experience with this? Should we go to the vet, or wait and see? Advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I have a 3 year old diabetic Lab with the beginnings of cataracts in both eyes. It is typical for a diabeitic dog to develop them in the first year or so from diagnosis - and I have had him seen by a veterinary opthamologist (and I had no idea there was such a thing 2 years ago!).

The cataracts can be removed as they are done in human eyes - with a new lens implanted. Full sight can be restored in many cases - it is not 100% foolproof, but I plan to have the surgery done when Diesel is impacted enough. Right now, he is holding with a pretty minimal problem - his night vision is affected somewhat, but he sees pretty well.

You should see your vet first for a consult and see if there is any reason to investigate further.

Good luck - I hope it is nothing serious.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

Never wait on an eye. It could be a corneal problem and those are best treated immediately. You might find you spent money for nothing but you might also save her remaining eye.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

oh geez - head to the vets and make sure your lay person's diagnosis is right - how old is your dog?
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

lkb987 is offline Senior Member

If it were me I would go to the vet so she could get checked out. How old is your dog????

Liy Chelsea Blinson

Garth is offline Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    You should see your vet first for a consult and see if there is any reason to investigate further.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayluckgoo View Post
    Never wait on an eye. It could be a corneal problem and those are best treated immediately. You might find you spent money for nothing but you might also save her remaining eye.
    Quote Originally Posted by brody View Post
    oh geez - head to the vets and make sure your lay person's diagnosis is right
    Quote Originally Posted by lkb987 View Post
    If it were me I would go to the vet so she could get checked out. How old is your dog????
    Can you see a common message here? Get to the vet ASAP. You should never 2nd guess a eye injury. It could also be an ulcer which if left untreated, can develop into a cataract not to mention the pain the dog will be in.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

If possible, I would even seek out a board certified canine opthamalogist.

This list might help you find someone: http://www.vmdb.org/clinic.html

Since your dog has only one good eye, I would make sure it gets the best care.

Thanks for the replies. Polly is two, which is why I am concerned. Being an all-but-penniless college student, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overreacting before we went to the vet, but go we will. I also had no idea there was something like a veterinary ophthalmologist, but I'll definitely check that out. Thanks again!

brody is offline Senior Member

do let us know what happens - fingers crossed you caught whatever early and it is something that can be treated

I have dealt with cataracts and surgery in young dogs before ... we'll talk if we have too
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Prayers it is not what you think but I know a Lab that had very successful cataract surgery. The healing in 24 hours was just amazing.

Good luck at the vet or ophtho.