signs of hip dysplasia?

Thread: signs of hip dysplasia?

Defaultsigns of hip dysplasia?

I'm concerned about how Gabby (9 months old) is walking lately. I'm sure I'm just being overly paranoid, but still...

When she's at a walk, her back right leg seems to track short- it doesn't have the same length of motion that the left back leg has. This creates an excessive swagger in her walk.

The "symptoms" I described seem to be much exacerbated after hard play session. For example, last weekend, she and Maverick went swimming/doing water retrieves for an hour or so. The next day, it was exacerbated.

I can't get into the vet until late next week, so I'm going to try and post a video this weekend. Does anyone have any thoughts in the meantime?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

M&C
    M&C is offline Member

DefaultRe: signs of hip dysplasia?

My boy Cosmo does have hip dysplasia(sp?) and I know exactly the swagger youtalking about. The only time I notice it on him is after a full on butt tucking session around the back yard. He'll usually walk like that for a while afterwards. I have been doing a lot of reading on hip dysplasia and there are a lot of other conditions that can effect a dog gait, so everything I have read has really stressed the point that the only concrete way to diagnose hip dysplasia is through ex-rays. I hope that your girl doesn't have it.

I'm actually really concerned at this point. About a week ago, she stopped jumping up on the couch.

I got the vet to move up her appointment -we're going in on Saturday.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

M&C
    M&C is offline Member

Good luck on saturday and remember if she does have it it is not the end of the world. Cosmo has one pretty bad hip and he is doing really well so far ! Do you know if they are goning to ex-ray Gabby on saturday or not?

Is it a 'regular' vet or a vet that is experienced in taking and reading x-rays? Makes a big difference.

She's a board certified surgeon and they have an radiologist on staff that checks everyone's finding and provides a write-up of the findings.

I'd have to look, I can't remember when I first had Jes's hips x-rayed (I just saw the receipt the other day as I was going through his records), but I heard and felt some popping in his left hip and that's what led me to have them x-rayed. I'm thinking he was around Gabby's age. You could always have them x-rayed now if you're real concerned, but keep in mind that at this age they may not be conclusive. The regular vet x-rayed his hips and thought he had HD, and I was referred to an ortho vet. The ortho vet was satisfied with the regular vet's x-rays, and after some discussions decided against surgery at the time. It wasn't bad enough to justify TPO and he was too young and not bad enough for hip replacement. He did want to take another set of x-rays when Jes got older. We had another set taken at either 18 months or 24 months of age and not much had changed.

At this point, he takes Cosequin, we limit certain exercises, focus on others, and that's it. Hopefully nothing else will have to be done, but there's always the possibility his left hip will develop arthritis and it may have to be replaced in the future.

I'm one of those people that makes a list of symptoms before going in - otherwise, we get to chatting and I forget- so I'm making the list of the symptoms/manifestations of my paranoia here:

- back right leg tracking short
    - exacerbated swagger after exercise/walking on pavement
    - sliding off the couch
    - refusal in the last week to jump onto the couch
    - "breeder" who told me parents were OFA excellent and were not in fact OFA'd at all.