Questions about Bordatella
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about Bordatella

Indiana is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestions about Bordatella

I just found out I'm taking Indy to a dock jumping event this weekend. He's 7 months old, has all of his other vaccines and is very healthy. Do you think getting a bordatella vaccine is necessary? From what I have read, it's a fairly mild disease for healthy dogs, akin to a cough or cold that goes away in a few weeks. Are there any risks associated with the intra-nasal vaccine? (We would probably get intra-nasal because of the time frame). I'll get it if there aren't horror stories about the vaccine ... but if there are any concerns about serious side-effects, I would think twice. I've also heard that it's not very effective, kind of like getting a flu shot, you can definitely still get sick, maybe not as sick ... I'm not planning on boarding him any time soon. I do take him to the dog park a couple times per month ... but it's my understanding that this disease is usually spread at shelters and boarding facilities due to the closed in space.

Any opinions?
    <br />http://picasaweb.google.com/IndyandFriends/Indy<br /><br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Questions about Bordatella

Quote Originally Posted by Indiana
    Do you think getting a bordatella vaccine is necessary?
    No. I haven't given a bordatella vaccine in years. My dogs haven't gotten kennel cough. The only time we had kennel cough recently was when I gave one of the dogs the vaccine.

Laura

Dani is offline Senior Member

It's not necessary unless you foster, or board at a facility that requires it or if you take your pup to day care.

Rider get's his annually, but that is because I foster. We don't do the internasal though, we get the injection.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

iugirl74 is offline Junior Member

Harrison just got the Bordatella vaccination, intranasal and did just fine. He turns 5 months old tomorrow. We had to do it because he was going to the kennel overnight and because we put him in day care once in awhile for socialization.

Dave_and_Christie Guest

We paid our vet an additional $23.00 for her bordatella shot when we were there for her other shots. I also know you can get the nasal spray version or whatever for dirt cheap at animal pharmacies for the do it your-selfer. I have heard that the nasal vaccination is often not as effective though.
    My point is, why not get it seeing on the cost is fairly minimal. Just my 2 cents.

mama2pebbles is offline Member

The vets in my area (Seattle, WA) recommend the intra-nasal vaccine. They say it's more effective. ??? Pebbles just had hers done 2 weeks ago. She's just over 5 months old.

Indiana is offline Senior Member

Cost is not the issue. I just prefer to weigh the risks and benefits associated with a vaccine or medication before giving it. I had a pet that nearly died from a bad reaction to vaccines. Ever since then I am very cautious and I try to do my home work. Bordatella is just one vaccine I'd never really researched.

Thank you for the feedback!
    <br />http://picasaweb.google.com/IndyandFriends/Indy<br /><br /><br />

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Not worth it. I agree with Labby. I take my dogs to shows several times a month and no one has caught it. The people I spend time with that show and breed also don't.

The only time it's necessary is when you board your dog, and that's usually because it's required by the kennel.

threelabs is offline Senior Member

Build up their immunity instead by feeding good food, plenty of exercise and giving Vitamin C.

I also wouldn't give a combination of vaccines at any time - space them apart three weeks.

paulie is offline Junior Member

I disagree with the whole thing of not doing it. First, the whole boarding theory is not true. If you dog is around other dogs (i.e. - a park, going to Petsmart, etc.) then they can get it. I went through this so I am speaking on experience. Kennell Cough is not nice and your heart goes out to them when they have it bad.
    Second, the nasal injection is not as effective as the shot. My vet will not offer the nasal injection as they success rate for it is not good and the quote of 1 yr. is not accurate (they say more like 6-7 months). The shot is done 2 times within 2 2 week timeframe and they are good for a year. I would treat it as a vaccine if you really want to prevent your pet from getting something and you will regret it later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast