what is that smell?

Thread: what is that smell?

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Defaultwhat is that smell?

When Sadie came back in the house this morning after doing her business she smelled awful!! I am thinking anal glands... I have no clue. She is 5yrs and has never had them expressed... She hasn't been paying any extra attention to her backside, so I am not sure. The smell was the same smell I noticed at the vet's office when she gets nervous. Then on the way home my car was stinky smelling for awhile.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TimC. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: what is that smell?

What do you mean by "any extra attention"? And what does the smell smell like? Every time my dog has had problems with her anal glands her breath smelled like rotten fish.
    Olie

I mean she isn't licking at that area... the smell was kinda musky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TimC. is offline Senior Member

I would just keep an eye on her. If she has a problem with her anal glands she won't be able to ignore them.
    Olie

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

Did it smell like a dead fish? That would be anal glands! UGGGGGGGGGGGGG

therapydawg is offline Senior Member

My SIL just got a shepard/lab mix from our local shelter, Gabe. He is very timid and was afraid of my FIL....well, Dad just kept trying to approach the dog and finally, Gabe let lose with this absolutely horrible odor from his anal glands...I think it was worse than dead fish! Apparently he had done this at the vet's office too and the vet told my SIL that it was a fear reaction.....well, my husband decided that Gabe must also be part skunk! I have never known a dog to do that before.

My girl is 7 and has never had her glands expressed, some dogs have issues with them, some don't. Sounds like she may have the same type of fear/nervous reaction that Gabe did. Does she generally get nervous at the vet's and produce this odor? Maybe something startled her while she was outside (God knows Gracie can get startled by her own shadow....the guys at work refer to her as "Chicken Little" )
    Glitter Graphics<br /><br />

funny Sadie is a big scaredy cat... cracks me up!! I will keep an eye on her. I have only smelled this one other time at the vet's office.

thanks everyone!