Sadie is limping on her front right leg. There was no incident of any kind. She doesn't seem to be in pain, but she is favoring it a bit (still walking on it though). I have checked her overall foot, paw, pads, toes, and overall range of motion and she seems fine. Hopefully just a strained muscle but it does have me worried. We're gonna do the whole wait and see thing and keep her from her normal activity. I guess we'll wait it out for a couple of days before going to the Vet.
I did do a search on limping and read quite a few posts with a lot of you having similar problems in the past with your Labs. Couldn't find any updated posts though to see what the end result was for the most part though.
Anybody have this same type of scenario that just went away after a couple days?
Something might have happened and you didn't notice it. If this was my dog I would give her a buffered aspirin every 12 hours. Run your hands over her leg and shoulder and see if you can locate any bumps or swelling especially at the joints. If you do find something apply an ice pack to the area for 20 minutes 3 or 4 times a day for a couple of days. If the symptoms subside, I would limit activity to nothing more than light walks for 2 weeks. If the symptoms don't change its time to see the vet.
I don't post very often, but have just gone through the ordeal of a limping labby....
In late January my pup hurt her leg romping in the backyard with a labby friend... of course it was just at moment we all turned our backs and we don't know exactly what happened. After several trips to the vet, an xray and limited exercise, the vet determined it was a "growing pain" type issue that would eventually go away. At first, our pup was on restricted exercise (like, none), then slowly worked towards 20 min walks 2x per day and then up to 1hr long walks a few times a day, all on leash. Just in the past few weeks, I am happy to say that I believe Daisy is back to "normal"... she is doing alot of off leash play and doesn't appear to be in any pain...
If I were you, I would restrict exercise for a few days, then if the limping doesn't go away, go see the vet and get an xray. I understand some things take a few days before they would even show up on an xray.
The best advice I can offer (and I am by no means an expert!) is to follow the vet's orders and follow through with instructions to limit exercise. I know it can be tough if you are used to exercising an active lab but it is well worth it. If you think they are getting better and push the limits, you may end up back at the beginning all over again... just my 2 cents!
My puppy Thunder strarted limping severly after making a sharp turn on carpet chasing a moving toy... He was less than 9 weeks at the time (I had had him 4 days) and I was panicing and ready to take him to the vet... I checked the internet for "limping puppies" and the first thing that popped up was "My puppy broke his leg"!!! I checked the leg and foot and he did not wimper at all and I was at a loss... Seven hours later, he all of a sudden seemed fine and was jumping around like nothing happened... Great advise posted above on what to do but I sympathize with the situation as it is stressful...
Thanks for the thoughts Jeff7777. Glad to hear your little pup got better so quick. Sadie does seem better today, but after she seems like she is fine, she'll begin to limp again a little bit. Mostly after laying down for a while. We just back from a very slow 10-15 minute walk around the block. Only activity for the day. She walked pretty good for the most part though. It felt weird to walk so slow, lol.
Christie actually noticed Sadie limping slightly for a couple hours late last Friday night, I wasn't home. The rest of the weekend she was fine and didn't show any signs of anything until Monday night. We did go for an 1 1/2 hour leashed walk at the dog park on Sunday though, that oviously didin't help any. But she didin't show any signs of limping then.
At this point it does seem to be getting better...slowly. I guess we'll hold off on the regular walks and give it another day or two before we decide to see the vet or not. I'm guessing this is gonna take a lot longer than I was hoping.
Good to hear that Sadie is starting to look better... I agree it could take longer than you hope... If she is still limping I would probably take her in for an xray (that's just me though, very paranoid)! It would hopefully either give you the peace of mind that it is nothing major... or (again, paranoia kicking in here) at least you would know what it is and get on the path to recovery!
It is now Saturday morning and Sadie does seem to be getting better. We've continued to keep her excecise limited to nothing more than a 10-15 min walk at a time, 1-3 times a day. When she gets up from sleeping, she still shows signs of favouring the leg but not as bad as before. Once she gets outside on a walk she seems to be just fine, but we're still taking it slow.
Because it seems to be improving daily, I'm hesitant to get X-rays as it probaly is nothing more than a muscle strain. I'll give it another 2-3 days and see what her prognosis is and make a final decision then.
That sounds great. Even if she appears to be her old normal self I would extend the time when I would let her back to playing hard for a couple of days. The area might be tender and needs time to strengthen. I would also ease into playing hard just so she doesn't re injure herself.