Give the shot or not??? My breeder says no. She says there have been numerous accounts of Lab adults and pups going into kidney failure after receiving the shot. However, the vet says it is more dangerous NOT to give the shot than to give it. What should I do?? The breeder says the lyme shot is not 100% effective and I will have to use Advantix or Frontline anyway. Arrgghhh.........what do you guys think?
ALWAYS listen to your breeder. Using a Lyme vaccine on one of my dogs would void a guarantee.
♣ Laura ♣
That's assuming the breeder is responsible, reputable, and knowledgeable. There are a lot of "breeders" out there who are not.Originally Posted by labby
We've always done the Lymes vaccine on our dogs, but we spend the majority of our summers in rural Wisconsin where there are lots of ticks.
I don't do it (breeder doesn't know/care - I was stupid when I bought my first Lab 4 years ago so I wouldn't ask her anyways). It's not a huge concern here, and after the awful reaction my dad had and similar stories I've heard from dog owners, I've decided the benefit doesn't outweigh the risk.
I think it's a regional and case-by-case decision.
Not all breeders are created equal. You need to determine if Lyme Disease is a serious threat in your area. On another lab board where I am a member, one of the members has a labbie that has lyme disease...it is not fun. You (not your breeder) need to decide if the risks outweigh the benefits. Discuss your concerns with your vet...a good vet should have no problem discussing this with you. If you want a second opinion, consult another vet.Originally Posted by labby
I would not decide whether or not to vaccinate my children based on the recommendations of a midwife, nor would I decide whether to vaccinate my pup based on the recommendations of a breeder.
I think the assumption is that people will do their homework up front and select a reputable breeder. A reputable breeder will have already discussed these options with their vet, and not pull the recommendation out of their rear. Unlike midwives, breeders have a real interest in their pups. They breed not to make money, but to improve the breed. They often have monetary guarantees as to the health, and they raise the pup for 7-8 weeks before selling it to the owner. I don't think you can fairly compare them to midwives at all.I would not decide whether or not to vaccinate my children based on the recommendations of a midwife, nor would I decide whether to vaccinate my pup based on the recommendations of a breeder.
I understand your point, and for the majority of people I think you're right - the vet would be a far superior person to consult. In the case of a reputable breeder, this step has likely already been performed. I'm sure they'd be happy to explain why they feel the way they do.
I agree with therapydawg.Originally Posted by therapydawg
I agree with therapy dog on this one. I give Oona Frontline Plus every month, but the ticks are so bad in Upstate NY that I worry about the times toward the end of the month. Plus there is a possibility that the symptoms of Lyme disease might not show up for years.
Right, their vet, not necessarily my vet. Many people travel great distances to get their puppies and the risk of contracting Lyme disease may not be the same where the breeder is located and where the pup will eventually live. Besides, I took great care in choosing my vet, just as I do for my child, and would prefer to consult with my own vet. Maybe this comparison will work better for you...I don't take advice from a friend because their pediatrician said a vaccine is or isn't necessary or safe, I listen to my pediatrician.Originally Posted by Nick
I was not saying to dismiss the breeder's opinions, but I wouldn't make my decision based soley on what the breeder has said...I would consult with my vet and discuss the risks of getting/not getting the vaccine.
Another vote for educate yourself for your dog. All our dogs are lyme vaccinated because lyme is a serious concern here, and it's a serious disease, make no mistake about that. We use the Merial version, and I've yet to see an adverse affect to it (we see a lot more to Lepto vaccines, which are known to produce adverse reactions).
Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy