Puppy Vaccines

Thread: Puppy Vaccines

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

DefaultPuppy Vaccines

I just had my 4 month old lab to the vet this morning for her third set of vaccines. When we were almost finished with the visit, the vet says ,"See you next month for her last set of shots." The breeder we got our puppy from didn't mention 4 sets of shots. She advised: second immunization on Feb. 20th, and 3rd shots on March 20th. Puppy will need last DHPP at 1 year 4 months. I'm confused. I will contact the breeder on this, but I wanted to know if this sounds right to you guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Puppy Vaccines

I use this schedule. 6, 8, 11, 14, and 20 weeks with ProGard 5. I always do the vaccine at 20 weeks. Its the one that really sticks with the dog.

Laura

mama2pebbles is offline Member

Pebbles had:
    1st visit DHLPP2CPVC (4 in 1)
    2nd DHLPP2CPVC & Lepto booster
    3rd DHLPP2CPVC
    4th Parvo Booster
    5th Rabies shot
    Bordetella 2 weeks later

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

steveandginger is offline Senior Member

bebopalula --

First off, I'm very inexperienced, so take this somewhat with a grain of salt, but here's what I think is the case, in layman's terms...

Pups have natural immunity, passed from the mom. The strength of this immunity differs -- in terms of how long it will last before it wears off (sometime between 8 and 16 weeks is normal, if I remember correctly). Any shots given while the immunity is still in their system are useless. Only vaccines given after this "natural" immunity from the mom wears off will be effective. This is why they give several sets of shots -- apparently, there is no easy way to tell how much immunity is in the pup's system, and therefore since you don't want the pup to go any length of time with a lack of immunity, the vets do these shots every few weeks. What it amounts to, if I'm correct, is that of all the sets of shots you do, most are useless (in hindsight), as only one of the sets (the one which happened to occur after the "inborn" immunity wears off) was helpful, as far as giving your pup her "immunity." So, bottom line, if your pup's last set of shots was at 16 weeks, she SHOULD be good -- all the immunity passed from the mom SHOULD have worn off, allowing her last shot to "stick." But, just to be safe, some vets will still suggest one more set -- AFTER the 16 weeks, just in the rare chance that the set of shots near 16 weeks was STILL "nullified" by the mom's immunity which might have been lingering in the pup's system.

In our case, my pup's 4th set of shots was at 14 weeks; our vet basically said it is "our call" whether or not to have one more, 5th set of shots -- just to be safe. He said he would if it were his dog, so we probably will.

Anyway, I think this is why you are getting the "conflicting" info from your vet and your breeder. By 16 weeks, she SHOULD be fine. The vet seems to be saying "better safe than sorry, let's do a 4th set of shots," while the breeder is saying "she's almost certainly fine with her last set of shots at 16 weeks" -- which in your case was only 3 sets of shots.

Hope this helps --

Steve

mama2pebbles is offline Member

My daughters friend got a puppy not long ago (8 weeks old). After being home 4 days he was taken to the vet and treated for Parvo. He was at the vets for about a week. He did survive. Not sure how bad it effected his nervous system yet. :-[

A year ago the local humane society had to euthanize all the dogs and puppies due to a distemper out break. Very sad.

Better safe than sorry.

Indiana is offline Senior Member

Indy was vaccinated starting at 8 weeks, every 2 weeks finishing when he was 16 weeks with the rabies shot. So a total of 5 visits. But, it is my understanding that if you start vaccines at 6 weeks, they'll still keep going until 16 weeks, so you'd have 6 visits. I have found that even though there are published protocol for vaccines, many vets still follow their own protocol for better or worse.

I would just play dumb with the vet, tell them your confused and ask why he needs another set of shots. See if you're satisfied with the explanation. If not, call another vet and get a second opinion.
    <br />http://picasaweb.google.com/IndyandFriends/Indy<br /><br /><br />

steveandginger is offline Senior Member

Like Indiana mentioned, we started Misty at 6 weeks (not 8), but had shots every 2 1/2 to 3 weeks, not every two. Therefore, she had one at 6 weeks, at 9 weeks, at 11 1/2 weeks, and at 14 weeks -- which is why our vet said one more shot, at around 16 to 17 weeks, would not be a bad idea -- which would make a total of 5. Anyway, sounds like everyone is giving similar advice.

Steve