update on Hudson

Thread: update on Hudson

Hudsons mom is offline Junior Member

Defaultupdate on Hudson

I have been in contact with the vet for the last week or so. First he recommended that I wait atleast 45 minutes after he eats to give him water. Which I was already doing anyway. He also said to slow him down while he is eating. He is up to 2 minutes instead of 45 seconds. The water idea didn't work. He gets bloated about 15 minutes after he eats and stays that way for about 3 hours off and on. The vet is concerned just as I am. Last night he told me to give him one Maylox before each meal. We will see tonight if that helps. I am suppose to try this for two days. The only other option is the belt loop surgery, not sure if that is right he gave it a fancy name, but I can't remember. He is getting way to much air in his stomach while he eats. In other words, just like I was thinking and the vet confirmed, Hudson has all of the red flags of bloat.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: update on Hudson

Poor thing I hope you are able to stay on top of it. Have you tried to put his meal in some type of treat ball. I have two different ones Mocha loves them. I put some of her morning meal in there before I leave for work. I've put her entire meal in it before too. It would slow him way down and keep his mind active.
    I have this one
    http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...ball&N=2023689
    The other one I have is like this except it has an adjustable hole you can put food in when they roll it the food falls out a few peices at a time and it makes this funny sound.
    http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...ball&N=2023689
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I'm not familiar w/ Hudson's story. What do you feed him? Have you tried changing his food, and did that make any difference?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hudsons mom
    I have been in contact with the vet for the last week or so. First he recommended that I wait atleast 45 minutes after he eats to give him water. Which I was already doing anyway. He also said to slow him down while he is eating. He is up to 2 minutes instead of 45 seconds. The water idea didn't work. He gets bloated about 15 minutes after he eats and stays that way for about 3 hours off and on. The vet is concerned just as I am. Last night he told me to give him one Maylox before each meal. We will see tonight if that helps. I am suppose to try this for two days. The only other option is the belt loop surgery, not sure if that is right he gave it a fancy name, but I can't remember. He is getting way to much air in his stomach while he eats. In other words, just like I was thinking and the vet confirmed, Hudson has all of the red flags of bloat.
    What would the surgery be for? I guess I don't get it. Has he been tested for maybe food sensitivity? Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
    I was also under the assumption that water is placed on the food when eating to prevent over consumption of water after eating. I would also worry that withholding water would just create a dog who drinks it excessively when it is in front of him.
    For me the maalox is just masking the big picture here and you need to get to the bottom of this.
    Again I don't see the surgery as you only other option until you know what is causing this and more tests need to be ran.
    Kim

Hudsons mom is offline Junior Member

Yes I agree, I am so ready to get to the bottom of this issue. I switched him back to Canidae this morning with just a little of the Wolfking mixed in (I hate switching him over this quickly). He was on the Canidae ALS (which had chicken/turkey in it) and that gave him back gas so then we went to Solid Gold Wolfking. I now have him on the Canidae Lamb/Rice. I did a test last night and the Wolfking got twice as big in a glass of water than the alreadly large size kibble that it is. I am wondering if this is playing a part in it. I gave him the Maalox and that doen't seem to be helping, but I think the vet just wanted to try as an option. With the Canidae he doesn't get fed as much as the Wolfking. We already split his meals, but I gave him a larger serving for breakfast so tonight I will only be giving him one cup, instead of him gulping down two. Since he gets bloated at night I figured I would give this a try. I am suppose to call the vet tomarrow. Thanks for the advice and comments so far.