Puppy on prednisone
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy on prednisone

pastorjay is offline Member

DefaultPuppy on prednisone

My vet just gave us some prednisone for Riley and her itching. He did not mention any side effects, but is there anything I should be watching for?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Puppy on prednisone

What is the reason for the itching?

I would highly recommend getting to the bottom, the source of the itching before using Pred especially on a puppy if this is intended for long term use. Pred has wasted away my dogs musculature structure.

You can have hair loss, muscle loss/weakness, liver problems, increased appetite, drug interaction, it can be immune suppressive.

Don't get me wrong, Pred is most likely the reason I still have my dog - what is left of her. But I would like to hear your dogs diagnosis for why it is being put on pred.
    Kim

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

I agree. Pred is a very dangerous drug with many long term effects. I would hesitate to put a young developing dog on it for any significant length of time. A couple of weeks would be ok to get control of some short term situation but itching is usually a sign of allergies...a life long issue and to hit it with Pred right off the bat seems a bit aggressive.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Biggest thing with pred is, you just can't stop it. You need to wean the animal off pred rather than just stop it one day.

Laura

Well, he thinks she has a grass allergy, since we have tried man, many other things, including a couple food changes. He has not done any actual allergy testing yet ( to be honest, I am not familiar with the way they would test on animals, if they do). He really seems to want to get the scratching under control, since she is scratching herself raw and losing so much hair. They have looks for fleas, mites all kinds of things that was, but have found nothing else to account for it. He gave me a months supply of the drug, which starts out at every 12 hours, and by the end of the month, it is down to every other day, so he hits it hard and then weans her. he made it sound like this was not that strong of a dose.

She is 6 months old tomorrow. I don't want to give it to her if it is gonna hurt her though. This is my first dog, so I am clueless when it comes to this stuff... Any other advice for me? Should I not give it?

labby is offline Senior Member

IMO too many vets prescribe pred instead of getting to the bottom of what is going on. Pred only masks the itching. It doesn't cure it. I would ask for the allergy tests and yes they are the "scratch" tests.

Laura

vgariffo is offline Senior Member

IMHO you should try what the vet recommends. I wouldn't want a puppy on prednisone indefinitely, but it sounds like the vet is trying pretty hard to identify cause. Has the vet tried antihistamines at all? (if they can be given to pups?). My latest dog had a short course of pred after not being able to get rid of his ear infections for a couple months, and it finally seemed to do the trick (he was about 1 year).
    Prior dog was on long term prednisone due to discoid lupus, and as a previous poster said, it gave us probably an extra year.
    Obviously there ARE side effects (especially extra peaing and probably extra eating) and you must adhere to the dosage. It probably won't be a long time dose, or you will probably want to try the allergy testing.

She has only been on Benadryl, and it has not done much if any good. So, they drink and eat more with the pred? (pee more?) I will have to watch for that. I will let hte vet try this for the dosage and term he has prescribed, then it will be time for a second opinion or the allergy testing. He thinks that this should get it to stop, as she just can't seem to heal up.

Quote Originally Posted by pastorjay
    Well, he thinks she has a grass allergy, since we have tried man, many other things, including a couple food changes. He has not done any actual allergy testing yet ( to be honest, I am not familiar with the way they would test on animals, if they do). He really seems to want to get the scratching under control, since she is scratching herself raw and losing so much hair. They have looks for fleas, mites all kinds of things that was, but have found nothing else to account for it. He gave me a months supply of the drug, which starts out at every 12 hours, and by the end of the month, it is down to every other day, so he hits it hard and then weans her. he made it sound like this was not that strong of a dose.

She is 6 months old tomorrow. I don't want to give it to her if it is gonna hurt her though. This is my first dog, so I am clueless when it comes to this stuff... Any other advice for me? Should I not give it?
    Your vet needs to quit thinking and start DOING! Your in control at the clinic. Your dollar, your time. Get testing. Not just allergy but full blood work.

My girl takes the lowest dose of Pred and she is not the same dog.

Find answers first. Then treat the dog.
    Kim

I was reading back to some of your other posts and saw you were bathing the pup every 2 weeks. You might want to stop this ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is not good for a Lab. This will dry out the skin and coat and stip the oils out of the coat. This can very well create an itchy Lab.
    Kim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast