sirens and howling

Thread: sirens and howling

labbie2 is offline Senior Member

Defaultsirens and howling

My two labs, both two years old, will howl whenever they hear a siren (5-6 miles away) while they are int he backyard. Does this truly hurt their ears?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: sirens and howling

I heard that it doesn't hurt their ears, but is rather a throw back to the howling that wolves do. My husband can start howling, and soon enough Hudler joins, then Maddy, then Grace. I don't know if the "wolf pack theory" is really true, but it's true in our house.

skiner is offline Junior Member

hmm, that's interesting. I used to own a lab who did that too. (he's at the rainbow bridge now.) :'(
    Although i'm not an expert, I believe it has something to do with the siren's pitch and frequency, that triggers that. I currently own a mixed-breed (Smooth-coat St. Bernard/lab) that howls whenever one of those large millitary jets go over-head. Weird, i know.
    <br /><br />&quot;Dogs are great, it&#039;s people who give me the headaches...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I doubt that a siren 5-6 miles away hurts their ears.

Sirens do produce a number of frequencies above the range of human hearing but that are easily within a dog's hearing range.

However, very high frequencies also dissipate much more quickly than very low frequencies and are much more quickly absorbed/muffled by leaves, grasses, intervening objects, etc.

So it could be the howling sound.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

labbie2 is offline Senior Member

Thanks, all, I was just curious... when they were a few months old, it was so cute; they both looked like Snoopy with their noses up in the air. We have moved since then, and our neighbor's house is quite close. They have no pets or children, so I am most sensitive to their privacy. Lil and Legend spend time during the day outside when everyone is at work and for a little while on the weekend mornings. Needless to say, a siren sound will get them going at 7:30 on Sunday morning. Ha ha... a quick run downstairs and in they come.