Iams Corp Cruelty?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iams Corp Cruelty?

Dave_and_Christie Guest

DefaultIams Corp Cruelty?

Upon looking up some further info on the this recent food recall situation I end up googling Iams. What do I find within the first 6 sites listed? Iamskills.com and Iamscruely.com. WOAH!!?

Apparently this has been a long debated issue? It's the first I ever heard of it. I buy Iams for Sadie. She is currently on Iams LBP and has been for almost the entire duration we have had her. She gets Iams mainly because that was what she ate for kibble up to the age of 8 weeks when we first got her. Naturally we just kept her on it because she was used to it. At one point we switched her to a better quality food (Innova), she was on that for a solid 5 weeks but just couldn't adjust to it very well as she had a lot of soft stool/diarrhea for a good chunk of that time. We switched her back to the Iams, and within a few meals of the switch, her stools were back to what I considered normal again. She has been on Iams ever since. Sadie is now almost 12 months.

Anyways, does anyone have any insight on these websites and their claims. It seems fairly reputable; Which is sad, scary, and not a good feeling for me as I would never voluntarily by a product known to have abusive research development. Of course, with big companies there will always be groups that are against them, especially when animals are involved. As a dog lover and consumer, I am a little uneasy with my food purchasing after reading through these sites. Am I overreacting? Are these sites created by some wacko cult groups, or do you know of supporting evidence that maintains their claims as creditable?

Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Iams Corp Cruelty?

Please don't fall for AR crap.

An article published by a British tabloid newspaper (Sunday
    Express, "Pet Food Cruelty," May 27) contained inaccurate and misleading
    information about Iams nutritional studies. The Iams Company is appalled by
    these false allegations of animal cruelty.

More than two years ago - well before our acquisition by Procter
    & Gamble (P&G) - The Iams Company independently made a firm and binding decision
    that we would not consider or sponsor any studies that required the euthanasia
    of dogs and cats. We determined that we could continue to make crucial health
    advancements without such studies because certain key findings had already been
    made, and new alternative research methods had been developed (for example,
    advances in MRI technology can now be used to examine the condition of bones and
    joints without using invasive procedures).

Early in our efforts to develop nutritional innovations, we
    sponsored university and veterinary school research in North America that
    identified important questions. The answers to those questions could
    potentially save and enhance the lives of millions of dogs and cats, but could
    only be determined through studies requiring euthanasia. We exhausted all other
    alternatives and made choiceful decisions in our research methodology. In those
    few instances, researchers used the minimum number of animals possible, and the
    results have benefited dogs and cats world-wide.

For example, our studies of canine and feline kidney disease - a
    chronic and fatal illness affecting millions of pets - resulted in new renal
    diets that make a significant difference in the lives of dogs and cats with
    chronic renal failure. Our research into healthy skeletal development has made
    a big difference for large breed dogs, where painful and debilitating
    developmental bone problems can occur in up to 40% of puppies.

Despite these facts, the story in the Sunday Express portrayed
    our published research findings in a sensational, negative, and misleading way.
    The article repeatedly described ordinary veterinary health practices in
    unnecessarily horrific terms. For example:

* A skin biopsy - which is a common diagnostic test in both human and
    veterinary medicine - was described in the article as "giving the animal chest
    wounds."
    * Giving an animal a routine vaccination was described as "injecting with
    live virus vaccines."

Clearly, this type of language is deceptive and
    counterproductive.

Other leading pet food companies sponsor or have sponsored
    similar studies to those undertaken by our company. Unlike most of our
    competitors, Iams openly presents and publishes our findings (for example,
    veterinary conferences, peer-reviewed veterinary journals) so that other
    researchers can help improve the health and well-being of dogs and cats, without
    repeating research projects.

This raises an important question: If our research has been
    presented, published and part of public record for more than ten years - and if
    other leading pet food companies sponsor similar studies -- why was The Iams
    Company singled out now?

To answer that question, it is important to consider the source
    of the allegations: This story appears to have been sparked by Uncaged
    Campaigns, a UK-based animal activist organization that has long called for
    boycotts of P&G products.

To sum up, our research efforts have always been guided by a
    strict code of ethics that exceeds the highest standards established by the
    Animal Welfare Act of the US and the US Department of Agriculture. Today, and
    in the past, all of our feeding studies have been required to meet very specific
    criteria, namely:

* The care of animals is of paramount importance, and animal well-being is
    always our top priority.
    * The results must help veterinarians and pet owners nutritionally manage
    important pet health conditions and give real benefits to dogs and cats
    world-wide.
    * The studies must be unique, relevant, and truly pioneering - in other
    words, no existing research could answer the questions raised.

At Iams, we stand behind our research, and are proud of our
    55-year track record of enhancing the well-being of dogs and cats by providing
    world-class quality foods. That is our mission, one that we live by every day
    in every corner of the company, starting with our Research and Development.

The negative Iams information that is flowing through the Internet right now is
    a distorted view of our research. Unfortunately, this type of sensationalism is
    at the expense of a company made up of people that are passionate about their
    dogs and cats, as well as their company's mission (to enhance the well being of
    dogs and cats by providing world-class, quality foods). I wish I could share
    with you all the thousands of contacts we've had from dog and cat owners
    reporting on the impact our foods have had on their pets' health. My own dog
    has experienced terrible allergies that were greatly soothed by feeding her a
    Eukanuba Veterinary Diet.

Laura

Dave_and_Christie Guest

Thanks for the quote Labby. I was hoping to read something that would represent the Iams side.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Are they perfect? No, but neither are they as bad as some would want you to think.

Laura

loriwolfelabluv is offline Senior Member

Just my two cents:
    i have a 12 year old poodle fed Iams and purina one for 11 years, he barely ate enough to stay alive and has had many dentals and teeth issues. After much research and reading I realize that while dog food companies are 'trying' to get it right with research and different formulas etc... the bottom line is dogs are carnivores and their need for grain (carbs) and alternative protein sources is nil. The dog food companies make big money (make dog food as cheaply as possible to increase profit-which means it contains all the 'stuff' no human will eat), some vets make a living off our sick pets and the dog food companies spend $$$$ advertising the balanced complete nutrition but its at the expense of our pets and our wallets in vet bills. I encourage you to keep reading there is a ton of info out there with regard giving our pets a healthy diet. i would check out the dog food project on the web and from there just keep searching.
    &quot;He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.&quot;<br />Author Unknown

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

the bottom line is dogs are carnivores and their need for grain (carbs) and alternative protein sources is nil
    My original post said this:

Dogs (and I think all canids) are considered omnivores, not carnivores. In the wild, canids eat berries, grasses, and predigest from animals they kill.

My Puff loves the flesh of many fruits -- apricot, apples, strawberries, peaches, bananas, etc. (We avoid grapes and raisins since they're toxic.) And Puff grazes on spring grasses like a Holstein.

My Bess loved any & all human foods except raw onions.

Puff also loves nuts (peanut butter included), croutons, animal crackers (& most cookies), "pizza bones" (crusts), stale or fresh bread, as well as pre-cleaning any spaghetti sauce, oatmeal, etc., left in bowls before they go in the dishwasher.
    ==================================================

In support of your position, see:
    http://www.doggedblog.com/doggedblog...nivores_o.html

update

Since then, I've Googled canid carnivore omnivore and, while there are many hits that call dogs omnivores all of those that I saw were by people selling dog food. I did not see any scientific articles calling domestic dogs omnivores. (However, some scientific articles on canid species other than wolves were listed as omnivores.)

However, based on the eating preferences of the two Labs I've had, I'd have to say they were both definitely omnivores.

I beg your pardon, apparently you were right and I was wrong on the scientific classification. I should have cross-checked my thoughts before responding.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Its no problem! i have found that everyone has there own opinion about the omnivore/carnivore thing and i indeed agree that fruits and veggies are well liked and i think there is a place for them in the diet. what i really don't like is all the 'feed grade' grains used in alot of commercial dog foods. ;D
    &quot;He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.&quot;<br />Author Unknown

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

That's an interesting link, Bob. Two of the biologists I worked for in undergrad argued that they resemble omnivores more today than their wolf ancestors - but they weren't taxonomists either. They weren't arguing that they didn't belong in the Carnivora order, just that they were omnivores. I guess they were wrong according to the taxonomists.

I think what the article mentioned is true, your first thought is that a carnivore only eats meat...that's not always the case. Maybe that explains the confusion over the classification.

mama2pebbles is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_and_Christie
    At one point we switched her to a better quality food (Innova), she was on that for a solid 5 weeks but just couldn't adjust to it very well as she had a lot of soft stool/diarrhea for a good chunk of that time. We switched her back to the Iams, and within a few meals of the switch, her stools were back to what I considered normal again. She has been on Iams ever since.

I do know that it takes longer for a dog to switch from Iams to any type of other food. Not sure why but I have seen many who have had the same problems. ???

Just my opinion but the beet pulp in Iams does regulate stool consistency and the soft/loose stool could be related to that. When switching to a high quality/caloric dense food i would feed alot less per feed at first (feed 3-4 times per day rather than once or twice) as -at least with raw - feeding too much at once can cause loose stool. Some of high quality foods i've looked at have even recommend regular weekly fasting as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast