Any Help greatly appreciated.

Thread: Any Help greatly appreciated.

colby is offline Senior Member

DefaultAny Help greatly appreciated.

Lily had her acl surgery on the 9th. Things have been going very well. Her foot was swollen with fluid which is normal and now is resolved but during that time she began licking her foot...I should of wrapped it but I didn't and yesterday I noticed it was warm and it had a smell coming from inbetween the pads in one area. I had an antibiotic on hand and called the orthovets office - they told me to begin that and to put gold bond down in the area and keep it dry. I noticed that her pad which had a small pink eraser head size area off of it has gotton a little bigger as of today like the black of the pad has sloughed off. I have just applied gold bond again and she has had her 4th antibiotic.....she is taking 500 mg of cephlahexin (sp?) Anyway just wondered if anyone else had any experience with this and if there is anything else I should be doing. Oh when I smelled the smell yesterday I washed her foot in warm water and squirted some Cholor cleanser stuff down in the crack around the pad (she did not like this at all....) Help anyone?
    We see the orthovet on Monday for staple removal and they will take a look at it but thought maybe there was something else I could be doing in the meantime...?
    Mona.
    <br />~Colby &amp; Lily~* <br />Southern Coastal Maine

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Any Help greatly appreciated.

I think you should continue what you are doing including the chlorohexic (whatever) rinse. Obviously if it gets worse she should be seen before Monday, but if it doesn't you should be ok to wait that long. You need to keep her from licking it. (obviously again)

Laura

colby is offline Senior Member

Thanks Labby Laura She isn't trying to lick it at all and I can honestly say it has been "lick free" since I noticed it and cleaned it up. At night I put a bootie on it plus I have been sleeping on the sofa with the expen right next to me so I can keep an eye on her since she had the surgery. I just checked it and it seems allot less warm. I think the antibiotics have finally kicked in. I was getting a little concerned this afternoon. I think we will be all set till Monday ~Again thanks for replying.
    Mona.
    <br />~Colby &amp; Lily~* <br />Southern Coastal Maine

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

I think the antibiotics she is on will help whatever was going on. I'm glad she is not licking it now. Wishing Lily a speedy recovery.

Hope your sofa is comfy. The things we do for our labs.