Beefing up your lab....

Thread: Beefing up your lab....

T-N-T is offline Junior Member

DefaultBeefing up your lab....

When Tucker was born he was the biggest and fattest pup from the litter. He still is very big/tall but he's not filled out like I wish he was. I don't want him to be overweight but I want him to be more stockey. He's a little taller than his dad, but very thin or atleast to me he is. And when I look at pics on here I noticed how much thinner Tucker is. He eats twice a day and he's a very good eater. I'm not sure on exactly how much he eats. I just fill up his bowl. Should I be feeding him a certain amount?
    First we were on puppychow, then Iams but now were back to the puppychow. He turned 1 in Feb. Any suggestions?? Or will he start filling out as he gets older?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_merlin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Beefing up your lab....

He's probably in that gangley teenage phase that we all go through, where parts of has grown, but other parts haven't! I'm sure he will fill out!
    <br />[URL=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=515&amp;i=mg7637smallna4.jpg]

Trickster is offline Senior Member

How is he bred? if he is a field type or even a pet bred, he will never look like the stockier dogs which are usually bred for the show ring. He simply isn't built that way. Field types are supposed to be lean -- they actually look much worse with extra weight on that slim frame. I notice immediately if one of my field bred dogs puts on a few pounds.

Age is also a factor. He is only young. My youngest boy, Joker, didn't fill out properly until he was 24 months old.

You shouldn't "fill up his bowl" -- he should always be fed a set amount according to weight, activity level, age, etc. Although you may be able to get away with it now, unless he is very active, you may find his metabolism catches up with him.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Stockiness is genetic. Fat can be added or subtracted.

Laura

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

My friend sadly made his sweet field/pet bred lab obese by trying to make him stocky like my boy. What do the parents of your boy look like?
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

skiner is offline Junior Member

TNT, how much does Tucker weigh now?...you don't want to fill up his bowl and let him have at it. Labs will eat as much as you give them, trust me! Measured portions given approx. the same time of day are best. Twice a day is good too. That's what i have always fed my guys. (breakfast/then a lt.walk) then dinner with a longer walk/playtime. (Depending on your schedule.) But he's still a baby at one-year old. As someone else said, he's still at the "teen" years and if he's exercising, he'll fill-out in no time. Steady is best because his bones are still forming and you do not want to rush that process. My lab Jackson is a very lean and tall guy at two years old. So i can relate. He was 98 lbs. when i adopted him, but he's now at 93lbs and my vet told me that should be his ideal weight at his height and build. Good luck.
    <br /><br />&quot;Dogs are great, it&#039;s people who give me the headaches...

WigWag Guest

Your boy looks like he is simply a taller and leaner type of Labrador and as others pointed out build is in the genes.

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

Yep!! You can't change his body type. He just looks like the taller leaner type. My dog, was never gangly at any stage and never will be because that is not HIS body type. :
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

T-N-T is offline Junior Member

At his check-up in Feb he weighed 71lbs. The vet didn't say that was too thin. This is just me comparing him to other Labs.
    He doesn't eat his entire bowl when I fill it up it one sitting. He'll just pick at it throughout the day. His parents are here in town, so we visit about 1 time a month for them to play. He loves playing with his dad. His dad is tall and stocky but his mom is short but she to is stocky, not overweight.
    Tucker is not an active dog at all. He's quite lazy!!! I would say he sleeps more than he plays. I tell people all the time that Tucker is not your average lab or atleast not what they say the norm is when it comes to a lab just because he is so calm.