a Tapeworm???

Thread: a Tapeworm???

skiner is offline Junior Member

Defaulta Tapeworm???

Just need to know if anyone has ever had to go through this. I took my newly adopted Lab "Jackson" to the Vet the other day for his first exam. Clean Bill of health (thank goodness) except for one small thing. My vet discovered a segment of a tapeworm while examining his rear end. Now I have been a dog owner for awhile and have dealt with a lot of stuff. However, this is a first for me. My vet told me that it is pretty common and there are only a couple ways to obtain one. Since he was a field animal before I adopted him, He surmised that he ate part of a contaminated rabbit carcass or, ingested a flea that had the larvae in it. You can imagine that all sorts of thoughts are going through my mind at this point, but he assured me it's really no big deal and a pretty common occurrence. He perscibed a "one-time" treatment of Drontal Plus K9 68mg. which is 4 (very expensive) chewable tablets and that he said should run it's course and get rid of ("Jackson's unwanted guest) within in a few days. He also assured me that I won't see anything "weird". I gave him the medicine that same evening. And he is doing fine. Have any of you gone through this? Any advise would be helpful. Thanks.
    <br /><br />&quot;Dogs are great, it&#039;s people who give me the headaches...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: a Tapeworm???

No advice...your vet gave you good information. It's not a big deal. He picked it up somewhere, it's just like getting any other type of worm. He'll be good in no time!
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Jackie is offline Senior Member

No advice, but a couple of my cats have had tapeworms, so I've been there with the treatment. Those pills are wicked expensive. But typically the one treatment takes care of everything, so you should be fine now.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

skiner is offline Junior Member

Thanks Dani and Jackie!!!
    ...I really appreciate your comments. That's a load off my mind. (As well as Jackson's too.)
    <br /><br />&quot;Dogs are great, it&#039;s people who give me the headaches...

krisinme is offline Senior Member

No advise either except to say the Drontal Plus is worth every penny. I used the drontal plus and a friend I travel with used something else for tape worms. I only dosed once and never had a problem again. She treated 4 times before buying the drontal plus. The drontal plus wiped out her Tapes in one dose too.

imported_CindersMyGirl is offline Senior Member

Boomer, our German Shephard, had them. The thought really, really grossed me out, but they were no big deal. Took meds (don't remember what kind, it's been years) and they were gone. He was an abandoned dog and they thought he got them from eating dead animals. Hope all goes well.

Barnsley is offline Senior Member

Lilly had tapeworms and Barnsley got them also when she came to us, they both got treated as you described with no problems. There was a little bit of loose stools I think.
    <br />Barnsley &amp; Lilly from Okinawa, Japan