Puppy won't eat :( Suggestions?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Puppy won't eat :( Suggestions?

Emily Guest

DefaultPuppy won't eat :( Suggestions?

Our yellow lab is just over 12 weeks and has all of a sudden lost interest in her food, Nutro Naturals Large Breed Puppy (LPB). She hasn't eaten much over 2 cups a day for the past 2 days and she's starting to get skinny. When we squeeze a 3V cap or two over the food, she gets a little more interested, but not much, even if we offer it in the palm of our hand.

Any suggestions? Should I change to another LPB food? Which one? She's just generally disinterested - no skin rash, no itching, no diarrhea, no vomiting, etc. I would really like to find something she *likes* to eat.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sirhobart is offline Member

DefaultRe: Puppy won't eat :( Suggestions?

I would try and see if she will eat anything- plain chicken, rice, etc to rule out whether it is the food or if she has lost her appetite in general.

Also, we had a bag of Nutro once that had gone rancid- totally nasty and we didnt know it until we compared the look from the food in that bag to the food in another. Hobart woudnt go near the nutro food ever again and we had to change foods.

just a few thoughts. hope it works out.

Emily Guest

Thanks! (Cute Sox hat, too, btw!)

I just called the vet and he'll see her this evening for a physical and blood tests. He suggested we switch to Science Diet, but... I don't know... what do you all feed your puppies??

Thanks ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jackie is offline Senior Member

I feed Royal Canin LBP food. But I've found that I have to mix in some moist food with the dry or Piper doesn't even deign to call it food and will totally ignore it. So I also add in some Canidae moist food. Maybe you could pick a brand of moist food and try mixing it in with the dry? If youotherwise like the Nutro, you should be able to pick up some canned Nutro to try this.

loriwolfelabluv is offline Senior Member

science diet is not a good quality food, there are many posts about good foods here, your vet probably sells it and therefore recommends it. If its a good kibble that you want I would look for one that has few ingredients, no grain, and is made for a large breed puppy. I have used and would recommend Orijen. You can find it on the web at www.championpetfoods.com Good Luck.
    &quot;He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.&quot;<br />Author Unknown

Emily Guest

Thanks guys. :-* Blood results and physical are normal, thank God. I'm going to try mixing the Nutro moist food with the kibble, and if that doesn't work, then change to a different food.

About the Science Diet... I did a Search on here and :P. Seems it really isn't good food. The vet was raving about how it's designed to make puppies poop less frequently and I thought "how can that be a good thing?" ??? Anyway, it's good to see how well research so many people here are on food. I'm going to keep looking through the Search for other options if she doesn't eat the kibble and moist food. Thanks again!

Dani is offline Senior Member

No. I would NOT mix in moist food. That is a good way to cause a picky eater. How are you storing the food? Is it in an airtight container? Some pups won't eat food that has lost it's "spunk" so to speak.

But you really need to establish the concept that you put down the food for 15 minutes and that is all of the time that you get. Whatever the dog eats in that time is what the dog gets. You pick up the bowl and feed whatever is left at the next feeding WITHOUT adding to it (even if it's just a mouthful). A healthy dog WILL NOT starve itself. You need to lay the rules of the house down and giving them time to eat is critical.

Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I second Dani's questions and suggestions.

How large a bag did you get and how are you storing it?
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Emily Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr.
    How large a bag did you get and how are you storing it?
    I got the 20 lb. bag and have been storing it in on the floor of the pantry, folded and clipped closed with a large bag clippy-close thingie. Maybe I should empty the bag into an airtight plastic container instead? Or just buy the 5 lb. bags more frequently? I never thought of that... our 4-yo male never had problems eating anything. :

Emily Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    Whatever the dog eats in that time is what the dog gets. You pick up the bowl and feed whatever is left at the next feeding WITHOUT adding to it (even if it's just a mouthful).
    I just can't do that. I know you mean well, Dani, and thanks for writing, but I'm just not comfortable doing that to her. I know *I* don't feel good when I'm hungry. I'm sure she wouldn't either. I just want to find something that she'll eat, and I want to be gentle with her. I don't want her to go hungry for my own time convenience. It just isn't worth it. Thanks though. ((hugs))

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast