Declaw removal cost??
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Declaw removal cost??

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

DefaultDeclaw removal cost??

Can anyone tell me what the approximate cost for removing declaws off a young puppy would be?? (before they were to go to their new homes from a breeder).
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

hark67 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Declaw removal cost??

I'm sure good breeders don't charge extra for that service. Dew claws are removed within the first few days after birth so it is really not an option you can ask for. Either the breeder believes in removing them or they believe in keeping them on. If you want a puppy with no dew claws look for a breeder that removes them. I am glad my breeder keeps them on.

Missing you, my friend.
    Huckle 1/9/1992 - 4/25/2006

hark67 is offline Senior Member

It is great that the breeder is willing to work with you! Does this mean you will know which puppy you are getting when they are just tiny babies? Removing them as little babies is not very involved so I don't think it would cost very much. I would be curious to know how much it costs.

Your Rowan is a doll!!

Missing you, my friend.
    Huckle 1/9/1992 - 4/25/2006

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

How would you know which puppy you are getting, at a few days old? Any later than that, its my understanding that it is no longer a simple process, but an operation.

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't risk the health/life of a puppy by bringing it to the vet at a couple days old unless it was absolutely needed...certainly not to take something off that they have for a reason!!
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

mama2pebbles is offline Member

I was just having a discussion about this topic with a friend of mine.
    Pebbles has her dew claws and my friend asked if I was going to get them removed when she goes in to for spaying. I know there are risks of them being torn off even if they are well attached. But I just can't do it to her. When dew claws are removed on older puppies or adults it is an operation and they are given pain pills for a few days and the bandages have to be changed and it takes awhile to heal.
    My 14 year old daughter said to my friend ... "How would you like to have her thumbs removed?"

So, Pebbles will be keeping her thumbs if they were loose I would really consider having them removed.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Why would you want them off?

I have said this before when these threads come up but to me, it is unnecessary surgery. And yes, for an adult dog, it is a major operation. You are effectively removing the puppies thumbs -- it can effect the way they balance and they way they grip.

My dogs go running through woods, fields, go hunting, etc., and never once have we had a problem with dew claws. If anything, I think there is a much higher risk to larger/more exposed body extremities such as the tail.

labby is offline Senior Member

I'm with Nicole. Why would a breeder who is against removing them, take the chance of exposing the puppy to something at the vet just because a puppy buyer wants them removed. Ain't no way I'd do that. If a puppy buyer doesn't like the fact that I don't remove dew claws, they can find another breeder.

Laura

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

Personally, with my limited experience with my 2 labs, I'd not want dews removed - I couldn't beleive how much they do use them!

Dani is offline Senior Member

There is no way in hell I would remove a dog's dewclaws. I will never buy a pup from a breeder that removes them either.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast