Kennel Cough (Bordetella)

Thread: Kennel Cough (Bordetella)

goodguy is offline Senior Member

DefaultKennel Cough (Bordetella)

I don't think my girl has it, but I just found out the she missed her bordetella shot that was due in december. I am taking her in saturday to get it. I was just informed today that we missed it. What are the symptoms you guys have seen? I read that a nasty loud cough sometime followed by wretching etc. She does do a clearing of the throat kind of cough sound every now and then not all the time or anything. Maybe once or twice on a day and go a few days without it.. So I just figured she was getting something out of her throat or something. And when she gets really excited like when we're out and she sees something (dog or person) that she wants to play with. Is this a slight sympton or is this just how she is? She has never been borded or around allot of dogs or anything.. Just at home with us and our 2 cats...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Kennel Cough (Bordetella)

They will usually hack, especially just after getting up. Sounds like they are trying to get something out of their throat. I am no longer fostering for the rescue, so we are not doing bordatella shots unless they have to be boarded.

goodguy is offline Senior Member

See, that's what I was thinking. She's never been borded and she isn't going to be. She's staying with a family mamber's 2 dogs while we go out of town. So I never have to do that. Do I need to get the vaccine even if she's not going to be borded?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

Dogs considered high risk for KC are those who are boarded, go to daycare, are shown or even if you tend to go to dog parks fairly frequently, pretty much those who are exposed to a number of unknown dogs at any given time. Any reputable boarding facility or daycare will require bordetella.

Having said that, the KC vaccine is no guarantee that your dog won't catch KC, but its course will generally be shorter and milder than those dogs who weren't vaccinated (similar to our flu vaccine).

Henry caught his at daycare, despite being vaccinated, and despite the daycare requiring vaccinations of all their dogs. The dog who brought it in caught it from a dogpark the weekend before, and infected all the daycare dogs.

It will sound like they're trying to cough something up, but can't. Often repeatedly. Like *cough cough cough gag*.

However, if your dog is unlikely to be boarded, go to daycare or shown, then the risk is probably quite low.
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Call me a bad dog mommy, but i don't routinely keep up with the bordatella vaccination because they can still get it. In fact, Maddy DID get it when she was UP TO DATE on her shots. Mine go to shows all the time and have never come home with it....

Mybabymambo Guest

I have to get the shot for Mambo twice a year. We go to doggy day care and dog parks. He has had it three times even with the shot.