Please help - Lab "shivering"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help - Lab "shivering"

DefaultPlease help - Lab "shivering"

Two Sunday's ago Jake got off the bed and his back legs went out from underneath him and he fell. He got up and walked away but I followed him to make sure he was OK. He has had 2 seizures in the past, one where he got off the bed and couldn't get back up. He went out by our back door and lay down and when he did I noticed that his back leg was shaking. It only lasted a minute or so and then he got up and was fine. It reminded me of the seizure he had but not near as severe. I brought him to the vet and they did bloodwork - nothing abnormal showed up at all. Since then he has had 3 or 4 "episodes" where he has been shaking or actually more like shivering as if he is cold. He seems to salivate a lot as well as he is licking a lot. I don't know what else it could be....any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

hark67 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Please help - Lab "shivering"

Don't you just wish they could talk to you and tell you what is wrong? I thought I would just mention that when my labby herniated the disc in his back his legs would quiver...at times I could tell they must have felt "funny" to him(manybe a bit numb?) When he first herniated the disc in his neck he was in so much pain that his whole body shook. Is it possible that Jake is having pain in his legs?

Hope it is not anything serious. Get well wishes coming Jakes way.

Missing you, my friend.
    Huckle 1/9/1992 - 4/25/2006

Oh how I wish he could just tell me what's wrong...
    I thought about pain but I can't figure out what could be causing it. He definately isn't in pain all the time that's for sure. He was going crazy playing fetch and digging holes in the snow all weekend. The only thing consistent is that it always happens after a nap. He does get stressed easily and I wondered if maybe he was having bad dreams or something??? And he's fine seconds later.....it's very strange.
    He has to go back to the vet on Wednesday for his rabies shot - I guess I'll mention it again and see what they say this time.
    Thanks!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

they could very well be seizures and i would continue doing blood workups and sometimes simple blood work does not show anything and something more extensive may have to be done. I know there are more in-depth tests but not sure what for seizures.
    Also do a thyroid workup and it would not hurt to x-ray the dogs back/spinal area.
    Kim

mama2pebbles is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by cinderbaylabs
    they could very well be seizures and i would continue doing blood workups and sometimes simple blood work does not show anything and something more extensive may have to be done. I know there are more in-depth tests but not sure what for seizures.
    Also do a thyroid workup and it would not hurt to x-ray the dogs back/spinal area.

I agree with cinderbaylabs.
    I do have one question, is shivering a sign of being in pain as well as excessive licking?

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I really hope it's nothing.

My Tucker is very shy and timid. He's been like that since the day we brought him home at 12 weeks. Twice since we've had him he's hurt himself and both times he panted (nervousness) and shook/shivered like a leaf in the breeze. I honestly don't remember what the problem was the first time (nothing serious though). The 2nd time it happened I knew he was doing that because he wasn't feeling right. I didn't see anything visibly so I just thoroughly checked his whole body. Turned out he must've caught a toenail on something and ripped it almost completely in half.

Maybe Jake just strained something and it feels funny to him and that's why he's shaking. He's scared.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

vgariffo is offline Senior Member

My friend's greyhound was acting that way and at first they thought seizures, but after vet work-up it turned out that they believe it's pain in his back legs, probably from a disc or something similar. gave anti-inflammatories and he's all better.
    Obvious answer to check with the vet. (almost sounds like his leg is asleep when he gets up- does that happen to dogs?)

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I had a doberman who did this sort of shaking and a few times fell over (thought nothing of it at the time-she was 10).
    Until one day she fell and did not get back up. It was her spine/disc. The degeneration was so bad it basically severed her spinal cord and she was paralyzed.

My friend's greyhound was acting that way and at first they thought seizures, but after vet work-up it turned out that they believe it's pain in his back legs, probably from a disc or something similar. gave anti-inflammatories and he's all better.
    Kim

I don't think that he is in pain because if I ask him if he wants to go in the car he pops up like nothing happened. The vet has checked him out (bloodwork and xrays) and she can't find anything physically wrong with him. She thinks he might be picking up on the extra stress that I'm under these days and the fact that he does not get as much exercise than he is used to. He has been fine the last few days; I've been off work and taking him out on daily walks again. I think he might be lonely too. "Daddy" has only been home 2 weeks since August and it's taking it's toll on all of us.

Gotta Granddogger is offline Junior Member

Our pointer shivered sometimes as she matured from being a young pup. She loved sugar-like popsicles and drank excessively. She also showed symptoms of allergies. Nothing serious showed up until she was three and was diagnosed with Addison's. I doubt that is your dog's problem, and I am sure you will continue to keep a close eye on her development.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast