My lab is on a hunger strike
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My lab is on a hunger strike

hungrydog is offline Junior Member

DefaultMy lab is on a hunger strike

I have a 5 year old yellow lab. Last summer he had many hot spots and severe itching and licking. The vet thought it might be food allergies. He had always been eating Science Diet. They switched him over to Purina Hypoallergenic food 8 weeks ago. His skin problems cleared up. Last week he has started a hunger strike. He
    refuses to eat the Purina HA. We did get him to eat a little of his Science Diet food
    but now he is even refusing to eat that. Today I did get him to eat some Milk
    Bone dog biscuits. They did a CBC and chem panel on him and so far everything has come back normal. Any ideas about what could be going on???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: My lab is on a hunger strike

Has he always been a fussy eater?

Has he been diagnosed and tested for allergies or are you just assuming this?

In my opinion, there are better foods than Science Diet and Purina available. These type of foods tend to contain common allergens such as wheat and soy, and many of the ingredients are of poor or average quality.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Ernie is sensitive to wheat and at times he wouldn't eat. I thought his dry food was off.
    Maybe you could try him with something else. If he wont eat a bit of meat then I would take him to the vet.

I now feed raw and Erns eats everything.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

The vet thought it might be food allergies.
    Gosh this sort of thing always bothers me! They need to quit thinking and do something. Have him allergy tested if they think it is allergies. My guess if he is 5 and had these hot spots came about in the summer it was more likely a topical, contact allergy. It could be hormonal, or a number of other things and not allergies at all. But it always comes back to food first when I would bet that 90% of the time it never is.

I am just a firm believer - after dealing with vets who treat first, test later - in getting to the bottom of the issue instead of putting a temporary band-aid on it.

As far as refusing the food, that could be a separate issue. Is he totally not eating and losing weight or just eating less and less frequently? I find when you cater to a dogs finicky eating habits you only make them worse. I mean if he is eating milk bones???
    Kim

labby is offline Senior Member

I agree with Kim. Food allergies are RARE in dogs. When my dogs don't eat they are at the vet immediately. Anytime there is a change in behavior my dogs are at the vet for a complete checkup including blood work. Sometimes going off of their food is the first sign of a major problem.

Laura

Well we got the results of his lymph node test back and he has lymphoma which
    now explains why he hasn't been eating :'( Any advice for treating lymphoma.
    Also, I have a 10 year old daughter that is very attached to Calvin. Any
    advice on how to break the news to a child.

loriwolfelabluv is offline Senior Member

oh gosh thats just awful news so sorry to hear that... i know almost nothing about lymphoma but i do have children. I think i would tell your daughter gently as much as you know and also give her some hope if you can and allow her to help care for Calvin for as long as is possible.
    Are there treatments available?
    &quot;He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.&quot;<br />Author Unknown

If we do not treat him he will live for 4-6 weeks. They will put him on prednisone which will relieve the swelling and give him more energy. If we go
    the chemotherapy route it may go into remission for a year. I don't know
    which way we will go at this point. I hear pros and cons on the chemo.
    Either way he won't be with us for long. So I am just going to try and make
    the best of the little time we have left with him. He has been a great member of our family and it will be hard to let him go.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Oh boy. I am sorry.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

First off I am glad you pressed on to find an answer to your problems that was NOT food related at all. Sadly that answer is not often one we want to hear. I am terribly sorry to hear the outcome.
    It all comes down to the right decision to make for you, your family and most importantly the dog. Right now just love him and spoil him rotten. Feed him what makes him happy, even if you have to make a big ole steak!

As far as your daughter..well at 10 I would hope she has some clue as to the cycle of life. Just be open with her. Let her know it is OKAY to grieve over a pet. It is okay to grieve greatly/differently over a pet more than a human. I know I don't grieve the same.

I found some links on the web:
    http://pbskids.org/itsmylife/emotion...article11.html
    http://www.cvm.uiuc.edu/CARE/ - a really nice site
    http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/emo...pet_death.html
    Kim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast