Veggie Question
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Veggie Question

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

DefaultVeggie Question

I have cut Rowan's kibble back by half a cup per day and have added some raw carrots (cut up) ~ just wondering what other veggies are good for Labs.
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TimC. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Veggie Question

Green beans will fill her up and won't add many calories.
    Olie

loriwolfelabluv is offline Senior Member

Just wanted to mention in my studies i've red that veggies should be put through a food processor or lightly steamed otherwise they will not be digested very well (come out looking much like they went in!!!) i've also red that green leafy's are good for dogs. i personally don't feed much veggies, the odd leftover boiled carrot or a few cooked beans or peas as a training treat.
    &quot;He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.&quot;<br />Author Unknown

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

Quick question, are dogs carnivores or omnivores??? I know that cats are obligate carnivores and ferrets are uber-carnivores, meaning that the only veggies, carbs, whatever that they would consume would be the partially digested matter in the stomach of its prey. What about doggies? What category do they fall into?
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

Trickster is offline Senior Member

You can use just about any type of veggie. I do agree with the suggestion of blending them up. This is what I do with my dogs as it makes them more digestable.

Quick question, are dogs carnivores or omnivores??? I know that cats are obligate carnivores and ferrets are uber-carnivores, meaning that the only veggies, carbs, whatever that they would consume would be the partially digested matter in the stomach of its prey. What about doggies? What category do they fall into?
    Dogs are carnivores. They WILL eat veggies, grains, etc., because they have evolved as scavengers but they are still carnivores. One look at a dogs teeth confirms this.

Dani is offline Senior Member

I do think you need to watch how many carrots you give. They contain natural sugar and too much of it can be overdoing it. I personally prefer the green beans as a kibble filler and leave the carrots for treats.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

Thanks everyone!!

Great to know Dani! I'll be grabbing myself some beans the next time I go to the store.

I do have some yellow ones in the freezer. Anything wrong with me cooking them up and giving them to her??
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

I was just curious because I know that bears are omnivores and the structure of their teeth is very similar to a dog's teeth.
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

"Teeth
    As omnivores, canids need a variety of specialized teeth to eat the different types of foods in their varied diets. Canids, including domestic dogs, have 42 teeth, although there are a few exceptions: The bat-eared fox has 48. Two rows of six small, curved incisors help the dog maintain a firm grip on prey, while four large, pointed canine teeth tear at it. Sixteen sharp premolars, including the carnassials, allow the dog to cut and slice flesh, while 10 powerful, grinding molars mean the dog can chew the non-flesh parts of its diet — typically vegetables, other vegetation and grains."

"Canids are medium-sized carnivores, but are more designed to be omnivorous than felids. Because of this, canids have many adaptations that felids do not have. Canids have more teeth in their jaw than felids. This is necessary for an animal that eats plant matter and insects as well as animal flesh. Many canid species' entire diet consists of insects. Canids have 38 - 42 teeth, with the canine teeth being large but not as sharp as felids. They have large, yet not sharp, carnassials, the hallmark of the order carnivora. These specialized teeth help to shear meat, however, canids tend to bolt down their food rather than shear it. Canids, unlike felids, can move their jaws in many directions. The skull is elongated and narrow. They also have a prominent saggital crest (the bony plate that protrudes from the base of the skull). This is used to anchor the powerful temporalis jaw muscles, and is bigger in larger canid species like wolves and coyotes than in foxes, where it is nonexistent. "

Classifying an animal as carnivora or carnivore does not mean it is strictly a meat eater and restricted to just meat. Coyote, fox, jackal and even the wolf eat friut, berriers and other vegitation. Granted this does not make up a huge part of their diet but it does exist.
    Kim

stlabs is offline Senior Member

I also like adding green beans. I usually just buy no salt added ones from Sam's club and feed those.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast