Need Help Please
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help Please

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

DefaultNeed Help Please

I had Rowan at obedience class today and I was thinking that she is starting to get on the heavier side and it was confirmed by the instructor that she is about 3-4 pounds over weight. I don't like my dogs real thin but think she needs to loose a few.

I have been feeding her Nutro's Large Breed Puppy (Ultra formula) and giving her 3.5 cups per day divided into two feedings. I usually give her a bone a day..... and a kong with plain yogurt and a banana - ... and a dog biscuit or two.... and a tbsp of olive oil on her food once a day to help with her dry skin.... I know there have been times when she really doesn't need this but I give it to her... cause she is bored.... and I know... she is NOT getting enough exercise.....

Our winter has been long..... with lots of snow.. and very cold temps......

How much should I cut her food down?? Any other suggestions.... ??

How long will it take to get this weight off her??

Thanks in advance for your help/..

•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Need Help Please

How old is Rowan, I know i waited until Sammi was a yr. old before switching her to adult food. But know most on here do so much earlier. Maybe just a switch to adult food would do the trick.

Rowan isn't 8 months old yet. I haven't had her spayed yet either. I was told to wait till she was a year to switch her to adult food. :-[

I really don't want an overweight dog.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mybabymambo Guest

I switched Mambo a few months before he was 1. I was told he could lose a little weight too. Well he really hasn't lost any. And honestly I am not sure if he needs to. Rowan looks really healthy.

I can't feel her ribs and can grab a fat when I touch her in areas.

Mybabymambo Guest

Can you take a picture from the top of her so we could see. I to am going to take one so I can post and see what everyone thinks.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I agree -- posting pictures would help.

If you can't feel the ribs she is definitely overweight. Ideally you should be able to feel them through a thin layer of fat. I realise that the look of the dog very much depends on how it is bred (Rowan is more of a show type) but you should always be able to feel the ribs.

I have been feeding her Nutro's Large Breed Puppy (Ultra formula) and giving her 3.5 cups per day divided into two feedings. I usually give her a bone a day..... and a kong with plain yogurt and a banana - ... and a dog biscuit or two.... and a tbsp of olive oil on her food once a day to help with her dry skin.... I know there have been times when she really doesn't need this but I give it to her... cause she is bored.... and I know... she is NOT getting enough exercise.....
    As you say she is not getting enough exercise, I think this is a LOT of food for a moderately inactive dog. Cut her back to 2.5 - 3 cups and stop the daily treats. A bone once a week and a Kong every other day is fine. No dog biscuits. If you need to treat her, use her kibble.

Okay, yes... I cannot feel her ribs. As mentioned I can grab fat and when she sits I can see a little bit too from behind... I really do believe she needs to loose some weight. (The instructor at obedience also agreed). She is wore out half way through the class and she is only 7.5 months old. She is a show type but and is going to be a little on the stalkier side but right now ... I think she is on the CHUNKY side. :

So I will cut her back to 3 cups per day and one kong every other day. And get her outside more. I am on Spring Break for two weeks so I will have extra time to work on the extra activity. Even when we play fetch.. she runs.. and lays down... runs.. and fetchs.. brings it back.. and lays down..... :-[

Thanks for the help!

We switched Oona over to adult food at 6 months.
    I give Oona one bone a week.
    Olie

That's great that you realized so early that your dog is putting on a few extra pounds.. it seems like a lot of people realize it when the dog is WAY too big, then have a harder time with losing the weight.

I'd say to cut her food down to 2.5-3 cups a day, and add maybe a half can of (low sodiium or rinsed) canned green beans. And maybe an extra 15 minutes a day of fetch to get a little more activity into her day.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast