Diagnosis Mast Cell Tumor
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diagnosis Mast Cell Tumor

imported_rudysmom is offline Junior Member

DefaultDiagnosis Mast Cell Tumor

I haven't been posting for sometime but I do stop in and read postsnow and again. I am an old timer to the forum along with my 2 labs, Rudy(6) and Cody(4). Rudy was in the Labrador Calendar we did years ago. He was the month of March. Cody came along a few years after that and then life got in the way, like life has a way of doing. Keeping up with 2 labs sure is an experience and one that I would NEVER change for one moment.
    Well to get back to the subject. I made an appointment to see the Vet because I found a what I thought a skin tag that was growing on Rudy's right hind leg. It is between the toes and the ankle. I was getting nervous so made the appointment. The vet aspirated it and while she was gone, I just keep praying that she wouldn't come back with that dreaded word, cancer. She came in the door and I could tell by the way she looked and she sat on the floor near Rudy and told us what she found.
    Mast cells and that she advises us to get it removed as soon as possible. I thought I was going to pass out and I felt my stomach up to my throat. My heart was pounding uncontrollably that I was trying to get it to stop so that I could continue to listen to what she was telling me. Biopsy after removal, level 1,2,3; chemo. Yikes! This is all I keep thinking about since we heard the news. I have been looking on the internet for hopeful answers and have found some and some haven't been what I want to know.
    I look at Rudy wondering are you ok or are you filled with cancer cells.
    I know others here have had this happen to them so I just thought I would express my fears and am looking for prayers and support while waiting for the surgery which is on Mar. 15th.
    Thanks for listening!
    I am so in love with my pal.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Diagnosis Mast Cell Tumor

I'm so sorry. You and Rudy are in my thoughts and prayers.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

einstein's legacy is offline Senior Member

I'm so sorry to hear about Rudy, hopefully they will be able to remove everything during surgery and Rudy will be cancer free. He will be in my thoughts and prayers.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

I will keep Rudy in my prayers. I hope they get it all & he is cancer free.

(((((HUGS)))))

MYJAKE is offline Senior Member

Hope they can get it all. Thoughts and prayers for you and Rudy.
    Gary - Owned by Jake and Brody in Georgia

lab13 is offline Senior Member

Sorry to here your news. Wishing you good luck with Rudy's surgery.

I have a chocolate lab who is 5 yrs old and has had 9 mast cell tumors removed since she was 2yrs old. My advice to you is first, ask the vet to give Rudy a shot of benedryl during surgery before removing the tumor. That is the advice that I got for my lab, it helps with the histamine from spreading. You are getting it off which is the next advice. If you find something, have it checked and if it is a tumor, remove it ASAP.

Also, make sure that the vet takes wide margins around the tumor to get a clean sample.
    You should plan to do a body check weekly or for sure monthly on your lab. Sometimes labs will get one and never get another. Some will get more. I was told that since my lab got them so young that she would continue to get them her whole life.

All my labs mast cell tumors have been grade l and all completley removed clean. Ask what the grade of the tumor was and if they got it all.

A couple of other questions if you don't mind

- what are you feeding Rudy?
    - Is Rudy itchy often?
    - Does Rudy have allergies - environmental or food??
    -
    After the surgery your vet might also recommend that Rudy take an antihistamine for a while or for a long time. Ask them.

Good luck, I will be thinking of you. Let us know how Rudy does.

imported_rudysmom is offline Junior Member

Thanks for all the replies. It sure helps to know that we have such great support.

Lab13, for years we have fed our dogs Pedigree dog food. Rudy will scratch himself occasionally because of a bout with dry skin, but other than that we have never noticed anything else. Their coats have both been very soft and shiny. I have been doing some serious thinking of changing the brand of food and want to find out others feel is best and what they feed their labs.
    So I am open for suggestions from anyone. What about fish oil? I read about giving 1000mg of fish oil to dogs with cancer.

Sorry, forgot to mention about diet.

I was told to feed a diet high in protein, high in fat and low in carbs.
    Cancer cells like to feed off carbs and not fat.

Personally, I have found that fish oil makes my lab much more itchy but yes I have also heard about fish oil too.

Good luck. Keep us up to date on how Rudy does.

CHOCOLATA is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry! We had one that was benign; though, removed about a month ago. Did you consider alternative medicine? I don't know much about cancer, and treating it, but I would definitely talk to holistic vet and what is their scoop on it. I am sure it has to be removed, but I think the nutrition will play a big role as well. If the cancer has nothing to live off (it feeds off carbohydrates), it will be so much better for Rudy. So that being said a vet that is little more open minded as far as diet goes, might help you find the right choice. We will keep Rudy in our mind and hope that everything goes well!!!

<br /><br />Zlata &amp; Chocolata

Chocolata - You sound like you got some advice about nutritional help with your lab with the mast cell tumor. Can you share it with us.

Sending good thoughts to Rudy and Rudysmom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast