Eating Clumping Cat litter

Thread: Eating Clumping Cat litter

Novarobin is offline Senior Member

DefaultEating Clumping Cat litter

So I recently read the thread about another poster having problems with their dog getting into the cat litter. I just got a new roommate with 2 cats. They get along really well, Chatham loves them. We have already learned the food has to be placed where Chatham can't get it and the litter box is in the same area. Tonight my roommate accidently left the door so Chatham could get in. One bowl of cat food later and an unknown amount of cat litter (I assume he ate some, it was all over his nose). I know clumping cat litter is not good for dogs. Aside from making sure it doesn't happen again, what do I do? What should I watch for? What kinds of problems does it cause?

Chatham ~ chocolate Labrador Retriever
    Kaper ~ German Shepherd
    Hary ~ German Shepherd

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Eating Clumping Cat litter

I dunno about in dogs but in ferrets it CAN cause an obstruction. Ferrets have a shorter digestion system then dogs though. A mere 3-4 hours. My mother's dog actually eats cat crap. I don't get it. YUCK! If possible moniter his temp ( i dunno if you have a rectal thermometer or not) and moniter his waste output. Is he eating? If not DONT give him canned pumpkin. Its not constipation, its most likely a blockage.
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

mama2pebbles is offline Member

I had my hubby cut a hole in something similar to this. Cost alot less than buying the ones available online. Mine is twice as long and higher than the one in the picture. I place the litter box at the opposite end of where the smaller entrace hole is. I actually have two, one upstairs and down. You can also place a battery operated light inside
    You can do a search for cat litter box furniture and get different ideas.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mads Mom is offline Senior Member

Ok, I definetly live in the sticks. I had NO idea there was such a thing as cat box furniture. That's just a cool idea. Madison got in trouble about 3 times for getting into the cat box. Ours is the kind with the cover but that didn't stop her. She's really good now and knows she'd better not get into the cat box and eat cat poop. We do have to watch her because she likes to "assist" her pal, 20 month old Buddy, when he's trying to do his business. (She likes to grab him by the head and try to pull him out while Buddy is yelling at her to stop, LOL)
    <br /><br />Sarah b-Feb. 2007<br />Madison b-Oct 2006<br />Oregon

mama2pebbles is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mads Mom
    Ok, I definetly live in the sticks. I had NO idea there was such a thing as cat box furniture. That's just a cool idea. Madison got in trouble about 3 times for getting into the cat box. Ours is the kind with the cover but that didn't stop her. She's really good now and knows she'd better not get into the cat box and eat cat poop. We do have to watch her because she likes to "assist" her pal, 20 month old Buddy, when he's trying to do his business. (She likes to grab him by the head and try to pull him out while Buddy is yelling at her to stop, LOL)
    LOL!