Food POLL
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Food POLL

lab13 is offline Senior Member

DefaultFood POLL

Just wondering,

WHAT DO YOU FEED YOUR LAB? A maintenance diet, lite diet, hypoallergenic diet, etc?? Please specify brand type and meat type.

I read an article that said that labs do well on foods that are " acidic" . What does this mean??

Thanks and look forward to seeing the respones!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Food POLL

I currently feed Apollo Innova EVO Dog food and Purina One mixed together but I read in another post not to feed Innova to a dog under 2 years old (apollo is one) so that might be changing. I am by no means a dog expert. i could go on and on about FERRET kibble and meat but for doggies im clueless.
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Caleb came home on Eukanuba LB Puppy, then ate Euk. Lamb & Rice. At 6 months, I switched him to Pro Plan Beef & Rice (adult). This bag is Sensitive Skin & Stomach (Salmon). With Mick, I rotated the variety. As long as he doesn't have problems, I'll probably do the same thing with Caleb.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I fed my Puff Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy food for her first 11 months. There is not unanimous agreement on it but (IMO) more people on this forum believe -- as I do -- in feeding a LBP food for the first year -- or at least those dog foods that have the desired low amounts of Calcium & Phosphorus. The canine nutritional studies on this issue run about 10:1 in favor of feeding a LBP formulation for the first year.

Among the more popular, widely available "good" brands with LBP formulations are: Diamond Naturals (and its cheaper Diamond), Eukanuba (and its cheaper Iams), Nutro Natural Choice (and its cheaper Nutro Max), ProPlan (and its cheaper Purina One), and Science Diet(?). There are also some other brands not labeled LBP which have the desired low amounts of Calcium and Phosphorus to assure slow maturing and closing of joints.

After Puff switched to an adult formula, it's been Kirkland L&R since. Kirkland is made for Costco warehouse clubs by Diamond. When I noticed their L&R had changed slightly and included more rice among its first 10 ingredients, I switched her to the Kirkland C&R (which did not). Actually, I think Puff likes it better. ;D
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I feed my dogs a food called James Wellbeloved. It is a UK only food and hypoallergenic. The meat source is lamb but I have rotated between turkey, duck and fish formulas. They seem to do best on the lamb. I also feed raw. Bescause the meat/protein in the kibble is quite low (typical for a hypoallergic food) the raw they get makes up for that. They are doing very well on the mix of this food and raw.

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

I feed Innova adult dog food (green bag) but sometimes I give him EVO, only if he's had a big day hiking or playing.

I never heard that you shouldn't feed Innova to dogs under 2. Why? I've been feeding Innova since Miles was 3 or 4 months old.
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

MilesMom, Innova is a great food and can certainly be fed to puppies. What you have probably heard is that you shouldn't feed EVO to large breed puppies, as the fat and protein are so high.

I feed Eagle Pack Holistic Select Chicken and Rice to my dogs.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Milesmom...no EVO under the age of 2.

Having said that...Rider is fed Innova EVO.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I feed either raw or one of the dehydrated, grainless foods from Honest Kitchen (Embark) or N-R-G . Actually, I feed raw only a few times a week, so the majority of her meals are the dehydrated, grainless foods.

Please note that I may be completely on the wrong track here, but wanted to address your other question about acidic food. I don't know for sure but I'd assume they are referring to the pH of the food. I don't know why it would be said that labs they need acidic food ~ can you cite the article? As I understand it, pH does affect bladder stone/crystal formation. But that runs both ways -- an alkaline environment can produce struvite stones, and an acidic enviroment can form calcium oxalate stones. There are also certain breeds of dogs that are predisposed to certain types of stones. Also, I think that the majority of dogs that get struvite stones are females, and males typically (but not always) get the calcium oxalate.

lilydarling is offline Member

I feed Petey Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy food. (chicken)

Petey is 9 months old, and has about 6 weeks of food left, so when that's almost gone, I'm going to start switching him over to Nutro Natural Choice Chicken Meal, Rice and Oatmeal formula.

So far, Petey hasn't shown any signs of allergies or intolerance to what he's eating, so I'll probably just stick with the Nutro foods unless I have to do otherwise.
    <br /><br /><br /><br />

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast