hair loss around eyes

Thread: hair loss around eyes

lab13 is offline Senior Member

Defaulthair loss around eyes

Does anyone know what causes hair loss around the eye area? My lab has it. One vet in the office said that it was caused from allergies. The other says that it is genetic. Which is the correct answer??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: hair loss around eyes

Depends on how much and if it's in other spots as well. It's sometimes a first sign when a dog has demodex mange. I'm pretty sure I've read your posts where your dog has allergies ... I'd go with that if you vet has given you that answer.

lab13 is offline Senior Member

Trouble is two vets is the same office have given me different answers.
    So who I am to believe. I know allergies are a tricky thing to fix but I am getting frustrated when I do what they say and don't get results.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Castaway is offline Senior Member

Checking for demodex is simple and usually done to eliminate it from the search for a diagnosis. Riley has bad allergies which started to show around 2 yrs old (common age). In the first place it was evident was as she lost hair around her eyes making her look like a panda.
    https://justlabradors.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic370_1.gif The more people I meet the more I like my dog

therapydawg is offline Senior Member

My Grace has seasonal allergies and she does lose the hair around her eyes at the peak of her allergies.

Allergies can be so frustrating! Have you had your dog tested to see what they are allergic to? We never did, but I know that is available. Gracie's symptoms start in the spring and peak when the grass pollen peaks. After a couple of good killing frosts in the fall, her symptoms go away. Vet agreed that it was probably grass allergies and we have been able to control the itching with Temeril P (an antihystemine with a low dose of Prednisone).
    Glitter Graphics<br /><br />

Castaway is offline Senior Member

Vet agreed that it was probably grass allergies and we have been able to control the itching with Temeril P (an antihystemine with a low dose of Prednisone).
    Sadly I dont have a steroid to fall back on as Riley also has Leishmanisasis so I cannot risk anything that compromises her immune sytem.I wish we did as we have proved that the relief is immense.... but in the end the LC will win if I take that route.
    I cant say more than good luck, its a rocky road. PLEASE make sure you start doing elimination tests now to establish what is the problem. Maybe you will be lucky it is something else and something treatable. Personally I would try everything before resorting to anything with steroids in it. Fish oils, home cooked diet, homeopathy... its hard work.
    https://justlabradors.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic370_1.gif The more people I meet the more I like my dog