Food question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food question

pastorjay is offline Member

DefaultFood question

I feed Riley Diamond Naturals brand. The other day my vet asked what I was feeding, and I told him. He suggested that Riley go back on Science Diet, since that is what she was on at the shelter we got her from. He just said it was a higher quality food. Do you all agree? He did not give any reason other than it was a higher quality food. She seems to enjoy the Diamond brand just fine. Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JackieN is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Food question

Many folks on here will tell you the reason they push that..is that they sell it. Diamond Naturals I believe is much better quality. Just switch Riley over gradually if you're having problems with the change in foods.
    Hope this helps... Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by pastorjay
    I feed Riley Diamond Naturals brand. The other day my vet asked what I was feeding, and I told him. He suggested that Riley go back on Science Diet, since that is what she was on at the shelter we got her from. He just said it was a higher quality food. Do you all agree? He did not give any reason other than it was a higher quality food. She seems to enjoy the Diamond brand just fine. Thoughts?
    <br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I would guess your vet sells Science Diet.

"He just said it was a higher quality food." : :

Here's how you can decide.

List in order the first 10 ingredients in your "Diamond Naturals" and also in "Science Diet" (If you have a PetsMart, Petco, etc., they often sell "SD".

Notice which one has a lot of grain (ground corn, corn gluten meal, wheat products, etc.) among those first 10. Notice which one does not.

Those grains are usually considered fillers and poop expanders.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

pastorjay is offline Member

Hehe, that is what I thought. He has a whole corner dedicated to ScienceDiet products, and carries nothing else. Riley has already made the switch and is doing fine. I just wanted to make sure it was just a sales pitch and there was anything else to it.

Thanks!
    Jason

Gusdad is offline Member

my vet conned my wife when we first got Gus and stuck her with a 20 lb bag of SD. The quality of Gus's coat rapidly declined. Plus, like stated above, it's all corn and wheat. Diamond Naturals is the best bet. Your vet wants in your back pocket some more. That's all. It kind of makes you wonder how much you can really trust them.
    <br />The Family

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

Have to disagree with your vet on this one. Depends on whether you want to feed your dog a food with a meat source as a primary ingredient or corn as the primary ingredient.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Sammi is on Diamond natural chicken and rice and her coat, skin and ears have never looked better. Bonus is she only has one or two "nice" poops a day -never thought I would be discussing my dogs BM's on a web site. I quit my vet when he started pushing foods, supplements etc. all of which he sold. Now go to a local vet clinic that I just love and they love Sammi. Have never once had them push a product on me. Good luck with the food question, but It was me, If it's not broke don't fix it! I have heard that many times on here

lilydarling is offline Member

I think "dog food" is the one subject that dog owners know more about than vets!

Stick with the Diamond. Your dog enjoys it, seems to be thriving on it.. why change the food to something that is considered "not so good" by educated pet owners?

And I have such a hard time understanding why vets don't make more of an effort to learn more about dog nutrition. I've had Petey for only 2 months, and I ALREADY researched dog food ingredients more than these vets have, it seems! Wouldn't they make it a priority of theirs? I mean, just because it's not dealt with in-depth at veterinarian colleges, shouldn't they do their OWN research on the subject??

I understand they get a kick-back from the SD folks, but it just seems so unethical to take money to recommend an inferior dog food product. Heck, if I was a vet, I'd tell people, "If money isn't a concern, I'd choose *super premium brands* because of *reasons*. A little more inexpensive foods, but also very good are *blah blah premium brands*, and if you MUST buy your dog food from the grocery store, I'd say to buy *brand x*, because it's better than all the other foods out there"

Oh well, lets just hope that some vets are knowledgeable on the subject, and that owners are smart enough to do some research.
    <br /><br /><br /><br />

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Science Diet has its place but I just don't feel it is the best choice for a healthy dog. I have used thier Rx diets and convinced our Lhasa would not have lived 6 years beyond when they said she had 6 months had we not fed her it.
    Otherwise, stick with your Diamond.
    Kim

stlabs is offline Senior Member

Funny - I had the same experience this weekend. I feed our labs Innova which I know is one of the top foods around. Several years ago, at the urging of my vet, I was feeding them Purina OM so that they could reduce weight, which they admittedly needed to do. The problem is that Purina OM doesn't have much in it other than fillers (such as peanut husks), so they did drop weight but their coats looked like crap, they smelled bad, bad breath, etc. After several months of that, I purposefully switched to Innova and just cut back the amount. They look great now and are at very healthy weights with visible waists etc. Well, we went in for a wellness visit on Sunday and guess what they wanted to switch my dogs to - Purina OM. They think my girl could stand to lose another 5 pounds to help with her arthritis. I told them no way. And guess what the vet's office has in the corner - a big stand full of Purina products. I agree that owners a lot of times know more about dog food than the vets. I wish more vets would sell high quality food like Innova.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast