Need Help!!!

Thread: Need Help!!!

cassie31899 is offline Junior Member

DefaultNeed Help!!!

Hi all, I haven't been on here in awhile, but I am having a problem with Angel. She seems to do well on a food for awhile then all of the sudden she will start with Diarhea, I will put her on chicken/rice or hamburger/rice for a few days and put her on a different food after that, and she does fine for a few months and then it starts again. I am running out of food options...........I have talked to the vet and she said if it happens again to give her canned pumpkin and if it doesn't help then we could do some tests to find out what's going on. She was on Maxximum Nutrition :-[ , then she had this problem (when she has it she has it all over her kennell, and just can't control it at all), so I put her on Eagle Pack Hollistic Fish - after about 2-3 months she came down with the same problem, so I put her on Nutro Natural for sensative stomaches........She's been on that a little over 3 months and yesterday she started with a bit of the runs. ***side note as soon as I switch her food she clears right up and is fine. Has anyone else had this problem? Any Advice?????? Thanks! Cassie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Need Help!!!

Take a stool sample to the vet and talk to them about a possible giardia infestation. It wouldn't hurt to put her on 7 days of panacur, then off 7 days, then on for another 5 days.

Laura

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

I don't think you need to change the food each time. If she's fine on it for a few months I don't think it's the food there is something else going on. I'd take Labby's suggestion from what I've heard they have to do a special test for the giardia so make sure the vet is looking for it specifically.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

If it was Giardia, would it just take care of itself after a period of time like it has in the past? The reason I think it is something with the food is that when I was feeding her the Eagle Pack Holistic Fish and she had this problem, I switched her food and she cleared right up, and when that bag of food ran out I wasn't thinking and gave her some of the Eagle pack Holisitc that I had left and she went right back into the diarhea again until I changed her food.........Guess that's why I am so confused by all this. Thanks for your responses!!!

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by cassie31899
    If it was Giardia, would it just take care of itself after a period of time like it has in the past?
    No

Laura

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

I agree, get her stool sample tested and even if it comes back clear, I would try what labby suggested. What other things is she getting? Rawhides, bones, anything like that? Also what is the content of fiber in her food? My guys don't do well on anything less than 4%. Zoe, especially. Are you giving her any diary at all? That can cause it too. How old is she? Again, get the sample tested; you don't even have to take the dog...just get a fresh sample and run it up to the vet FRESH!

Angel is doing better now, must be she just had an upset stomach. To answer your questions, the fiber in her food is 5%, She only gets 2 treats a day, and that is when she goes in her kennel in the morning and at lunch time. She gets no dairy products. The only other thing she eats is cat food >! She will be 2 in July. Thanks for your advice!!!!