Bad Breath

Thread: Bad Breath

DefaultBad Breath

Looking for advise....I have a 3 year old chocolate female lab, spoiled rotten I might add, who started having VERY bad breath about 6 months ago. She has been an inside dog ever since I first got her but lately been staying outside when we have good weather. I live in Baton Rouge, La. When I say she has bad breath, I mean really bad breath. Border line rotten breath. I don't think she has hallitosis because I see any yellowing and I do clean her teeth often. Has anyone here had similar problems and do you have any advise as to what I can do to treat this and eliminate her bad breath? ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Bad Breath

What are you feeding? are you having any other problems with her?

I've heard of putting fresh parsley in their food to help with bad breath.

Never tried it, so I'm not sure if it works, though.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bad breath can be a sign of a lot of things; including something going wrong internally. Could be the food, could be something she is eating outside (does she eat her own poop), could be a bad tooth or a stick or something lodged, could be something going on somewhere you can't see. If it's been going on for a long time, wouldn't hurt to have the vet check it out just to be on the safe side.

Dakota has HORRIBLE breath, but she eats her own poop. Especially in the winter because we don't clean up as often. I brush her teeth, and it still stinks

Thanks for the advice. I looked at her teeth today and I didn't see a lot of yellowing and her teeth looks healthy otherwise. She doesn't eat her own poop so that's not a problem. There's a product out called Oxyfresh where you put a small amount in the water bowl. The website claims this will cure the problem, but I think I'll bring her to my vet this tomorrow and see what he has to say! Thanks anyway...I'll try and post some pics of my girl this weekend. ;D